Fall Film Challenge

I know it’s a little early, but Jenn release the requirements for the fall film challenge & we all know how much I love a challenge. I did this challenge last year and missed the mark, but this year I’ve been pretty good about keeping up with reading so I hope that’s a good omen.

Also… I’m just really happy to have the word “fall” somewhere in my blog post. This Ohio heat/humidity is killing me. Bring on October 😉

This challenge starts on September 1st and ends November 30th. The rules are pretty simple and can be found here.

Alright, on to my choices.

|one| about adolescence: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
|two| about a character’s rebirth or rite of passage: It’s a Wonderful Life
|three| about a comic book character: Iron Man
|four| shot or set in Washington DC: The American President
|five| set in an academic environment: Rushmore
|six| about failure: Begin Again
|seven| about a man vs. god or gods: X-Men: Apocalypse
|eight| about a man vs. himself: J. Edgar
|nine| about an invention or an ingenuous individual: Joy
|ten| set in a jail or prison: Toy Story 3
|eleven| about a dog: Best in Show
|twelve| about loss: Steel Magnolias
|thirteen| about man vs. man: Bad Moms
|fourteen| about man vs. nature: Cast Away
|fifteen| one that has a monster or monstrous individual: Hotel Transylvania 2
|sixteen| shot or set in Pennsylvania: The Philadelphia Story
|seventeen| about a character’s quest of some kind: Alice Through the Looking Glass
|eighteen| about a character who goes from rags to riches: October Sky
|nineteen| about a man. vs. society: V for Vendetta
|twenty| originally released in the thirties: You Can’t Take It With You
|twenty-one| about undesirable individuals or elements: Ghostbusters (2016)
|twenty-two| about a voyage and return: Thor
|twenty-three| about wizards or witchcraft: Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them
|twenty-four| originally released in the sixties: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
|twenty-five| about a yearning or obsession: The Talented Mr. Ripley

I know there is a shockingly large amount of movies that I should have already seen…

So, have I convinced you to play along, too? It’s a pretty easy challenge with a very chill host. Even if you’re not planning on playing along this year let me know what you think of my choices! Do you love/hate any of these movies? I haven’t submitted my list so it’s not too late to suggest a substitute!

34 thoughts on “Fall Film Challenge

1. Nadine July 13, 2016 / 7:45 am

It’s a Wonderful Life is the only one I have seen on your list. I cant wait to see Bad Moms! It looks so funny and I just adore Mila.

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:28 pm

It’s a Wonderful Life is a favorite of my father-in-law’s. He’s probably so disappointed that I haven’t seen it… I play to watch that one toward the end so it’s close to X-mas!

2. Emily (@embergreyblog) July 13, 2016 / 10:02 am

This is so fun! I really want to do this but already know there’s no way I could do one movie a night – as much as I would LOVE that. Can’t wait to follow YOU along though! 🙂

• jenn griffin (@quirkypickings) July 13, 2016 / 3:49 pm

emily. it’s not one movie a night. you’ve got three months to watch them, and while i’ve yet to complete my own damned challenge, there were a few who’d knocked it out in a month last year. it can be done. please, play. i’d love it if you do.

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Like Jenn said, the challenge runs from the beginning of Sept. to the end of Nov. You get three months to complete it! (And I never end up finishing… lol.) You totally SHOULD play along if it’s something you want to do 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. Stephanie July 13, 2016 / 10:20 am

Fantastic Beasts! I CANNOT WAIT for that to come out, since I love HP and consider myself a Hufflepuff. Good pick! I’ve seen only a couple on your list (3, 12, 14, 22, 25) so I’m excited to see what you think of the rest of them! Might steal a couple for the categories I’m missing 🙂

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Ummmmm- I am SO excited to dive back into HP 🙂 I’m a Ravenclaw so the reader in me is dying to own the new Cursed Child book! 😀

4. Christine Everyday July 13, 2016 / 11:09 am

I am sooooo excited for Ghostbusters this year!!

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:32 pm

Me too! I really don’t want to wait until the challenge starts to see it but now I hafta 😉 Haha!

5. simplyalexandra12 July 13, 2016 / 12:14 pm

oh super fun! I’ve never done or seen a film challenge. I occasionally make “movie bucket lists” but fall is the best! hehe I am ready for it too. I like your picks, excited to follow along. I’m still trucking away on the Disney movies! hehe XO – Alexandra

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:33 pm

This is such a simple, fun, laid back challenge to try. There’s very little thought or effort with movies and it’s nice to have an excuse to be lazy some evenings or weekends!

6. chelsea @ the new wifestyle July 13, 2016 / 12:21 pm

yes yes yes to FANTASTIC BEASTS! also headed to see Ghostbusters this opening weekend (one because it looks awesome and two because some people are being outrageously sexist towards the movie so FULL price for FULL support)!

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:35 pm

Ugh- it drives me NUTS that people are against the movie purely based on the sex of the actors. SO DUMB. I think it looks amazing- I love all those girls (and the Hemsworth, haha)!

7. Rebecca Jo July 13, 2016 / 2:20 pm

I love movies… I’m going down your list like, yes, yes yes, uh huh. yeah 🙂
    I can watch movies all day long & be happy

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:36 pm

I’m kind of ashamed that I haven’t seen most of these. Haha! I’m glad you approve of my picks!

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Absolutely- you definitely are! You and Erin are such wonderful, laid back hosts with your challenges!

8. chelseajacobs July 13, 2016 / 4:08 pm

You’ve got some good ones on there! LOVE Perks of Being a Wallflower.

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:37 pm

I’m so glad you think so! I’m excited to check some of these off the list come September!

9. Lindsay July 13, 2016 / 6:33 pm

Okay, this is so fun! I may have to participate, too! We’re always looking for new movies. And yes to fall! This heat is killing me, too!

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:38 pm

Do itttttt!!! I like this challenge because K can do it with me. He usually approves of my choices so it’s fun to conquer the movies together 🙂 YES TO FALL ❤ haha!

10. Mattie July 13, 2016 / 6:36 pm

I was going to say, how have you not seen some of these?! There are also plenty I haven’t seen…because I’m the queen of not having seen movies that everyone in the world has seen, so I can’t really be surprised about anyone’s list of unseen movies! But Iron Man is like my favorite super hero movie of all time. RDJ is perfect in it. Toy Story 3 was amazing and made me cry. I remember liking The American President but I watched it when I was probably too young to even understand what was going on. And BEST IN SHOW! So funny.

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:41 pm

K and I are so excited to watch The American President. (We just finished the whole series of The West Wing!) I’m also very determined to conquer all the Marvel films and TV shows. I’m hoping that Iron Man and Thor give me a good start!

11. texerinsydney July 13, 2016 / 7:47 pm

Hold up. Wait a minute. You’ve never seen Steel Magnolias? I am SO happy you selected that, and if there is any movie on this list that you MUST see, that’s the one.
    I agree with Mattie. RDJ is perfect as Iron Man.
    It’s a Wonderful Life is such a classic, and I don’t even really like classics, but I love that one!

• Louise July 13, 2016 / 9:44 pm

I’m so glad so many folks approve of my list. My mom was just sitting here reading off my choices and she’s like, “HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THESE?” Haha… I guess I was movie-deprived.

12. Lux G. July 14, 2016 / 4:05 am

I love majority of these choices. Especially The Perks…although if I compare it with the book, the latter is better.

• Louise July 16, 2016 / 8:59 am

Hehe, the book is (almost) always better 🙂 I know both the film and book were popular a few years ago but I never checked out either. I love me some Emma Watson, though, so I’m looking forward to it!

13. carolann July 14, 2016 / 9:51 am

This sounds like a great challenge. I’ve been trying to watch more films lately because there are so many that I haven’t seen. I recently watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower and it has to be one of my favorite movies ever. I also just saw Iron Man and loved it – but I love superhero movies. I am looking forward to seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them & Alice Through the Looking Glass.

• Louise July 16, 2016 / 9:00 am

You should do the challenge with me, Carolann! It’s easy with no stress (I never finish so it’s ok to fail at this one, haha). It forces me to watch some different films and relax!

14. Elyse July 14, 2016 / 12:25 pm

Best In Show is seriously SO funny. I definitely need to rewatch it since I haven’t seen it in forever. I am not too excited about the Ghostbusters movie from what I’ve heard but I’m trying to keep an open mind since I am going to see it regardless of the reviews…lol I’m such a sucker.

• Louise July 16, 2016 / 9:02 am

I can’t believe I haven’t seen Best In Show. I’m such a dog lover, haha! I’m excited for the Ghostbusters film because I find each of those actresses to be hilarious so I think it’ll be great! 🙂

15. jenn griffin (@quirkypickings) November 14, 2016 / 3:09 pm

lady. just checking in. i can’t find you on facebook? you need to see steel magnolias, girl. watch that one movie. if you get nothing else out of the challenge this year, having seen that will be enough. i promise you’ll be glad for having done so. it’s a beautiful film. so much worth the time.

• Louise November 14, 2016 / 7:50 pm

I am failing hardcore… but there are a few I’m determined to see! Steel Magnolias is one of those!! (I’ve only watched The American President.)