Winter Movies that Aren’t Christmas Movies

This week is always confusing to me… I still feel festive, but Christmas is over and I don’t know if holiday music is still appropriate… Also, the Type-A planner in my brain wants me to take down the tree & decorations, but New Years still feels Christmas-y and festive so I’d actually like to leave it up. I don’t know- it’s just a really confusing week for me each year…

Additionally, I am at work this week but K gave his boys the week off… which I know is the norm for some businesses. Our house is a mixture of vacation and normalcy (and I’m stuck on the wrong side, ha).

Maybe you have some downtime this week? If so, here are some winter movies that aren’t actually Christmas movies to keep you entertained!

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)winter_movies_1

Trading Places (1983)winter_movies_2

Edward Scissorhands (1990)winter_movies_3

The Mighty Ducks (1992)winter_movies_5

Balto (1995)winter_movies_4

I came up with this topic a few days ago but didn’t jot down the movies I was thinking of at that moment. Oops. I’m sure there are a million more I’m missing… What are some winter non-Christmas movies that you enjoy watching?

On Friday I’m announcing some 2017 resolutions and goals, plus a pretty big life change for us next year (nope, not pregnantย ). So come back on Friday!

28 thoughts on “Winter Movies that Aren’t Christmas Movies

1. Nadine December 28, 2016 / 2:34 am

Ahhhhh The Mighty Ducks!!! Love that one! I also really like Jack Frost.

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:26 pm

I totally forgot how foul-mouth The Mighty Ducks is… haha! My cousins spent the night a few months ago and I put it on for the 8th grader and I was like, “Ooooooh crap! Hahaha!”

2. Christine Everyday December 28, 2016 / 8:49 am

Haha, great list. Trading Places, yes!

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:27 pm

That’s in the top 5 of my husband’s favorite movies. Haha!

3. Stephanie December 28, 2016 / 9:08 am

Mighty Ducks! My favorite! The Shining, lol

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:28 pm

I thought about including The Shining, but it’s not a favorite of mine. Hahahaha! (I’m not one for horror or suspense, no matter how classic it is. Ha!)

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:28 pm

That was a nod to my brother-in-law. On Christmas we were talking about the best Burton movies and he threw out that one. (My vote is for Beetlejuice, for the record…)

4. Rebecca Jo December 28, 2016 / 9:41 am

My favorite – SNOW DAY!!! That movie is just so cute & funny!

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:29 pm

I’ve never seen it! But I’ll add it to my must-watch list! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Mattie December 28, 2016 / 12:19 pm

I love Edward Scissorhands! I got The Holiday for Christmas, and it’s kind of a Christmas movie but also works as a New Years movie so we’re going to watch it tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I haven’t seen The Holiday but it seems like so many people love it! I don’t think it’s on Netflix b/c I went to watch it one night and ended up watching Under the Tuscan Sun. Hahahaha. Far cry…

6. SMD @ Life According to Steph December 28, 2016 / 1:22 pm

I feel lost this week every year for the same reasons. I actually have that in my post for tomorrow.

Beautiful Girls is my top winter not Christmas movie.

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I’ve never heard of that movie but I just went and watched the trailer online. I’ll check it out! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Kristen December 28, 2016 / 3:23 pm

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:31 pm

THANK YOU. I was so afraid no one would know about that movie! Hahahahaha! I’m glad you’re a fan! Hahaha!

8. Julie Hood December 28, 2016 / 3:41 pm

YES! I also feel festive but like Christmas is over….So this is so perfect! For a quick sec you can feel festive about New Year’s, but after half a minute it’s over and you’re like just hoping for pretty snow…???

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Now it’s all over and I just feel sadness…. lol. Just kidding. I’m very excited for the new year. Hope you guys had fun ringing it in!!

9. Elyse December 28, 2016 / 9:47 pm

Mighty Ducks is a classic! I always feel weird this time of year too, I’m still listening to Christmas music but the tree is down and I’m planning Andrew’s birthday which is in a few days, so I’m feeling SO weird right now.

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Ooooh, yeah…. You are TOTALING in a spot of weird transition! Hopefully things are a tiny bit clearer with NYE being over ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope it was a good one for ya! Happy Birthday to Andrew!

10. thepunktheory December 29, 2016 / 8:25 am

I just love Edward Scissorhands! One of my favourite Johnny Depp films ever ๐Ÿ˜€

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:34 pm

The first time I watched it was on an airplane, hahaha. I’m pretty sure I cried, too, so I looked like a total loon.

11. aliceschmalice December 29, 2016 / 9:35 am

Great choices! One of my favorite NYE movies is When Harry Met Sally (it also doubles for Fall feelings and Christmas). I’ve already watched it once this season, but now it’ll be a bittersweet viewing since Carrie Fisher’s passing. I might cry… more than I normally do!

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:35 pm

Thanks! I’ve never seen that movie. (or Sleepless in Seattle or You’ve Got Mail…. I just loop those three together all the time. Ha.) But I will watch it someday!!

12. shelldbell December 30, 2016 / 3:16 pm

I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! That’s the perfect wintery movie. The Holiday is great too. It feels like a New Years movie to me, so I watch it every year during this weird week.

• Louise January 1, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I was afraid no one would have seen that movie (although then maybe they’d take my recommendation and go watch it!). I love it!
      I definitely need to check out The Holiday! I’ve never seen it.

• Louise January 3, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Thank was a nod to my brother-in-law, haha! Ughh… don’t even get me started on Dumbo or The Fox & The Hound…. *sobs*