The Revised 30 by 30

When I turned 25 I made a 30 (things to do) by (the time I turn) 30 list. I threw it together haphazardly and felt a little meh about it, so after a while I removed the page from my blog.

30x30

After some revision and soul searching, I’ve republished the list (^ up there ^) and figured I’d share it here. There are 10 or so things are from the original list- including the few that have been crossed off- but these 30 things are activities or experiences that I’d really like to accomplish before the big 3-0. (Deadline: Oct. 17, 2020)

1. Read 100 books (26/100)
  2. Visit 5 new cities (2/5; Boston, Charlotte)
  3. Work for K and Pageantry Innovations
  4. Finish writing my novel
  5. Finish Yearly Scrapbooks (2/7)
  6. Take K to Disney World
  7. Take K to Europe
  8. Re-read the Harry Potter series (0/7)
  9. Pay off any and all credit card debt
  10. See the West Coast
  11. Learn the art of making (my grandma’s) pies
  12. Take another cruise
  13. Go horseback riding
  14. Attend a professional sporting event [November 23, 2015]
  15. See Panic! at the Disco live
  16. Attend at least 5 different NASCAR tracks (3/5)
  17. Make something on my sewing machine
  18. Complete Erin’s book challenge
  19. Complete a TBD film challenge
  20. Finish OUAT series & The West Wing & Mad Men & Miss Fisher’s…
  21. Clean junk out: spare room / utility room / basement
  22. Go on a girls’ trip
  23. See Trumpet in the Land (a local outdoor production)
  24. Tryout for a part at the local theater- even if I don’t get it
  25. Start a real, physical, local book club
  26. Find the perfect pair of booties
  27. Ride on a train (again)
  28. Visit the Rock & Roll HOF
  29. Take the dog(s) hiking each fall (Starting 2015… 2/6)
  30. Visit a unique Ohio location not already listed (suggestions )

I feel like I’ve got a pretty terrible start, ha. I’m nearly a year and a half in and I’ve got two-ish crossed off… Oof. That said, I’m working on the books, television shows, cities, races, and hiking. Also, we’re planning a Disney trip for this year (and hopefully Europe in 2018)! So, you know, that’s a start…

I looked at some other 30×30 lists while I was creating mine, but I’d love to know what’s on your bucket list! Do you want to skydive (not me ) or scuba dive or travel the world?

signature

45 thoughts on “The Revised 30 by 30

1. Stephanie January 24, 2017 / 9:24 am

I love seeing other people’s list, you have some good stuff on here!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 9:51 am

Thank you! I can’t remember all the places I looked for inspiration, but I know I skimmed through your 101 in 1,001 list!

2. Elyse January 24, 2017 / 9:50 am

Your list looks like it’s really attainable and very personal. I tried to do a 30×30 list but it was stuff I thought I should want to do by the time was 30 instead of what I actually want to do and could realistically do. I have thought about doing a 40×40 list but we shall see…

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 9:52 am

Thanks, Elyse. My first draft was a total waste of time and a whole bunch of things I thought maybe I should do, but didn’t really want to. I’m much happier with this list!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 9:53 am

I scrolled through so many other lists with that mentality. Haha. I’ll probably still switch a few things around before I’m 30 🙂

3. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) January 24, 2017 / 12:05 pm

I’ve been thinking I need to make one of these. But not a 30 before 30 because you know … that 11 years in my rear view window. 😀 50 Before 50 sounds really daunting but I have more than 8 years …

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 9:54 am

I think you could totally tackle a 50×50! You’re such a do-er, so as long as it’s stuff you really want to do I’m sure you could achieve it!

4. chelseajacobs January 24, 2017 / 12:24 pm

I think you can totally do all of these in that time!!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 9:59 am

Thanks, Chelsea! They’re things I really want to do, so I hope so!!

5. Jae x SCATTERBRAIN January 24, 2017 / 12:59 pm

I just turned 30, and a lot of these things I haven’t done myself! You have plenty of time, Louise! Oh, and by the time you get to #10, I hope you remember to holla at your girl from San Diego! 😉

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:15 am

Um- absolutely looking to you for advice on west coast travels!!
      I know some of these would be easy to cross off (the booties, the pie making) but I just haven’t gotten around to it so hopefully this list kicks me into gear!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:16 am

My aunt is a super talented seamstress and she owns a fabric shop. She’s the one who gave me my sewing machine. I will definitely be seeking her assistance when I go to make something 🙂 I’m thinking a t-shirt quilt for all of K’s band t-shirts!

6. carolann January 24, 2017 / 2:10 pm

I love this list! I finally joined a real live book club here in Hawaii and it’s the highlight of everyone’s month. We have so much fun. We get to catch up, everyone brings delicious food and tons of wine, and then we talk about the book! I’m curious if you have started your novel. I think you totally should write one. I have this idea for a novel kind of floating around in my mind and I really want to try to work on it but I haven’t been able to start it.

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:18 am

I’ve tested the waters as far as a book club goes and haven’t gotten a good response (mainly people are busy), but I’m going to try again soon 🙂 I do have a novel started! (Several, actually…) I probably have +/-100 pages of unedited story for one of my ideas. I just need to dedicate time and thought to it now!

7. chelsea @ the new wifestyle January 24, 2017 / 3:50 pm

oh man! i never did one. i turn 30 tomorrow. dang it. glad you have this list and i always thought a real, in person book club would be so fun!

also europe 2018?! YAY! where are you thinking about going!? soooo exciting!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:20 am

I hope you had a fantastic birthday!! K turns 30 this year and I’m trying to think of something special to do for him 🙂

I’d like to do one and a half or two weeks in Europe. One week (probably the 2nd half) in Switzerland. The first week I’d like to go to England or Ireland. I’ve been to Ireland, but I loved it!

8. Robyn Black January 24, 2017 / 7:33 pm

yay for 30 x 30 lists! i am still chipping away at mine! 🙂
    also, i started re-reading the HP books before i started grad school & it was so much fun to go back and relive all of the magic and SO much detail in the books that you forget about!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:22 am

I doubt they’ll have then all out by 2020 so I might have to revise this plan, but I’m trying to re-read the HP books with their illustrated versions. So far two are out so I need to get reading!

9. Lindsay Latimer January 24, 2017 / 9:48 pm

You’ve got some time, girl! I can’t wait to purchase your novel one day!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:22 am

Ha, thanks Lindsay! I’m thinking I can manage this list 🙂 I hope so, anyway!

10. Olya @ The Siberian American January 24, 2017 / 10:28 pm

This is such a great list! I really want to cruise again soon, too! We used to cruise all the time (at least once a year), but not Chris won’t let us because of Zika! 😦

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:23 am

Zika threw off our plans last year, too. It does make me pretty nervous. Pregnant or not, I don’t want a virus inside me! Maybe an Alaskan cruise 😉

11. Nadine January 25, 2017 / 12:22 am

I’ve been working on my 40 x 40 list, I love seeing these to see if i want to change one of my things for something better haha. If you add Talladega to your NASCAR list, hit me up! I won’t go to the race (already been to that track) but I know all the good Birmingham food spots and we can blate it up!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:25 am

I would love to go to Talladega! I’ll definitely let you know if and when we get to go 🙂 I’m thinking Martinsville (VA), Richmond, Talladega, and Dayton will be the next few we hit up!

12. Jana @ Jana Says January 25, 2017 / 2:19 pm

I saw Panic at the Disco last summer when they opened for Weezer. They’re really good! The Rock and Roll HOF is on my to-do list now that I took my 40 by 40 and threw it in the trash. I felt like it was more pressure than anything else.

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:27 am

My old 30 by 30 was dumb and filled with things I thought I should do, but didn’t really care about. I’m much happier with this bucket list 🙂 Panic is playing in OH this spring but tickets are pretty expensive so K isn’t convinced we should go… I’m still working on him 😉

13. Mattie January 25, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I need to make traveling a priority. We can’t afford it unless we save up, so we’re going to have to start setting aside some $$$$ for that!!!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:29 am

K does NOT consider traveling a priority. His 30×30 (or 40×40, I guess since he’ll hit 3-0 in March) would include cars, a boat, tailored suits…. etc. Lol. All the memes about doing things being better than having things do NOT apply to him. Lol. He’s not materialistic, but it means more to him to own a 2013 corvette like the one we used as a get away car from our wedding than go to Peru.

14. typicallyjane January 26, 2017 / 12:30 am

This is SUCH an awesome idea! I’m totally going to jump on this train and come up with my own 30 by 30!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:30 am

Thanks! You should- it feels rewarding!

15. simplyalexandra12 January 26, 2017 / 10:20 am

Oh fun! I should start one of these… haha I love doing the 101 in 1,001.. but don’t focus on it enough. Maybe I should again soon! 🙂 I’ve heard that Panic! kills it live… which (to be honest!) surprised me! But that’s awesome, I hope you get to see them! Good luck with all of your goals! I just try to revisit them often and build long-term goals into my seasonal bucket lists and yearly/monthly goals! Xo – Alexandra

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:39 am

Hahaha. It makes me laugh that Panic being great surprises you, ha! Some artists that we’ve been SO impressed with are Fallout Boy, Plain White Ts, and Cobra Starship!
      I’m trying to keep my goals/to-do lists/bucket lists in my line of sight (planners, on my desk, etc.). That helps me check things off!

16. StephTheBookworm January 26, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Yay! I love this list and how it’s so varied! And awesome that you fulfilled the one to work with K already – woohoo!

I actually have some similar goals too like re-reading HP, another cruise, and a Disney trip. Also, I’m still hunting for a specific pair of boot too and have not found exactly what I’m looking for. I’m looking for flat (no heel), mid calf boots. I’ll keep searching! Lol.

I started a book club in 2013 that’s still going strong and I love it! I’ve been meaning to create a blog post dedicated to it. I need to get on that. In the meantime, if you have any questions about starting one, I’d be happy to help!

17. everything with love January 26, 2017 / 10:54 pm

I always love these lists!! Last year I was going to do a last minute 30×30 but then I got knocked up and I knew there was no way I could even do an easy one in a year like that. And here I am a month away from the big milestone and I never did one. So I will happily live vicariously through yours!

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:47 am

Hahahaha- “then you got knocked up.” Two genius, adorable babies is a pretty big deal before 30! You didn’t even need a list!
      Make a 40×40! Or live vicariously through this list. Either way 😉

18. lifeasunusuals January 27, 2017 / 8:21 am

Oooh I love lists like this! I can’t wait to see how you get on 🙂

• Louise January 27, 2017 / 10:47 am

Thanks! There are 6 or 7 that should be simple, but some (EUROPE) are a little bigger projects 🙂

19. Rachel G January 28, 2017 / 1:45 am

There will be absolutely no skydiving on any bucket list of mine! haha! I turned 25 6 months ago, maybe I ought to make a list for the rest of my 20s. At this point I feel like it’s tough to say what the next five years ought to include, haha! I like the one about trying out for a part in community theater. That would take some guts, but if we ever lived near a community theater I would love to try–I miss college and high school theater!

• Louise January 31, 2017 / 11:40 am

NO SKYDIVING OR BUNGEE JUMPING. Nopeity nope nope. Ha!
      I tried out my hs freshman year and didn’t make it (b/c theater was super clique-y) but then the director changed my senior year and I got a part in Little Women (Amy). So I’ve been in on play (plus grade school stuff). We have a local theater but I’ve never gotten the guts to go to auditions. Haha!

20. Julie Hood January 30, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Sooo much that I could relate to there–DEFINITELY feelin’ a girls trip!!!

• Louise January 31, 2017 / 11:37 am

Yesss. My friends and I just need to build up a little vacation time so we can plan something epic! (Well… they do. Chances are I can sweet talk my boss into a few days off 😉 lol)