Goals on Goals on Goals

Hi ya! We’re tackling three things in this post today:

• 2017 goals check in
  • Winter goals recap
  • Spring goals reveal

2017 “Resolutions”

(Original post here.)

Be Healthy.
(As in eat better & exercise.) Ehh… not doing so hot here. We’re eating at home more often, but exercise has been a complete no-go.

Feel Less Guilty About Downtime.
(Less guilt when lounging/reading/unwinding.) I think I’m getting better here. We’ve be so busy all year so I can’t quite get a handle on the balance of responsibilities vs. relaxation.

Read more.
(Last year I read 25 books. This year I’m aiming for 40.) According to Goodreads I’ve read 9 books this year and I’m two ahead of schedule. Cool!

Become a Morning Person.
(Less snooze button and rushing, more consistency and chill.) HA. No. Still working on it. I just love sleeping (in).

Get on Schedule.
(As in meal planning, cleaning, dog maintenance, etc.) I’ve been great about a meal and blog schedule. Now it’s time to focus on cleaning and home maintenance.

Winter Goals

(The original list appears here in this monstrous post.)

• Make a meal planning journal and, like, actually do it
    We’ve been REALLY good about meal planning! Every once in a while I skip a day or we opt for take out, but so far I’ve been making lists and planning meals each and every week!
  • Wash all window treatments & cushion slips
    Partially done… Whoops.
  • Write thank you notes for Christmas gifts
  • Get Lylee on a walk schedule again
  • Clean the junk out of the basement
  • Hire someone to come in and clean the carpets

So overall I did pretty terrible with the seasonal goals. Ha. I’ll be rolling most of these over into spring I guess…

Spring Goals

• Wash cushion slips
  • Scrub grease build-up off cabinets
  • Replace/fix water heater
  • Get Ly on a walk schedule again
  • Clean junk out of basement
  • Hire someone to come & clean the carpets
  • Finish 3 year scrapbook
  • Order pics for year 4

These are all doable AND borderline necessary. So… here’s to hoping I get them crossed off!

Linking up with Sara & Steph (tomorrow)! What are your spring goals?

Life According to Steph

59 thoughts on “Goals on Goals on Goals

1. Stephanie March 16, 2017 / 9:26 am

Dog walking and winter are a hard combo. Hawkeye stayed out too long in the snow on Monday and herself a cold, so it’s a tough balance. Spring will be better! Spring is the perfect time for clearing out the basement too, good luck.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 2:41 pm

Enzo would hate me if I made him walk on a snowy day, but Lylee lives for that. Ha! Unfortunately, I REALLY don’t want to wrestle her into a harness and freeze my nose off after work every day. Spring will definitely be better 🙂 Hope Hawkeye is feeling better!!

2. chelsea @ the new wifestyle March 16, 2017 / 9:36 am

oh you know i’m all about them goals! glad you are writing them down and sharing them to be accountable! i’m not sure where your new office but maybe you can commit to taking a 10 minute walk around the property or something at lunch daily so get your exercise goal accomplished!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 2:52 pm

I could absolutely take 10 minutes here and there to walk around the office/warehouse throughout the day. Great idea! I also have a FitBit that I should wear more regularly to keep myself accountable 😉 Haha. #DuhAudrey

3. Jae March 16, 2017 / 11:08 am

Ahh, one thing I’ve been meaning to do is spring cleaning! I can’t wait to go over my stuff, and toss away everything that I no longer need!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:06 pm

I look forward to the organizing and purging part, but the washing windows and scrubbing floors is never fun for me… ha.

• Jae March 21, 2017 / 10:30 pm

HAHAHA you and me both!

4. kristen March 16, 2017 / 11:31 am

good job on meal planning! thats awesome. that is definitely something i need to do and get better at. we are kind of half doing it right now but it’s hard without our own kitchen and whatnot. we have a general idea of whats for dinner but not 100% like we used to in our own house. it really makes a difference!
    girl i have no issues with relaxation/downtime. hahaha. but i don’t lead a busy life, that could be why.
    can you all just hire one of those rug doctor thingys and clean the carpets yourself? or do you want to hire someone? totally understandable if so. i bought this degreaser stuff from home depot that got the gross stuff off our cabinets. it was less than $10. it was orange. that’s all i remember haha.
    my goal sometime this year is to organise photo yearbooks. one day!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:16 pm

If we didn’t have a kitchen I would definitely not be forcing myself to meal plan. I totally understand. Hopefully you are in that kitty-sunroom-house soon!!
      I’ve gotten a lot better with downtime, but I still struggle to crack a book when I know I COULD be doing dishes or tidying up my office. Lol
      I really really want to just buy one of those carpet cleaners that cycles water through your floor and deep cleans. I feel like life with two dogs justifies that purchase. At the same time, I kind of like the idea of hiring someone to do it. Lol. I will definitely be checking out that degreaser!!!

5. Rebecca Jo March 16, 2017 / 11:36 am

I need to clean out all the junk in ALL my rooms. Sigh. Never ending.
    I have to say, you can get a carpet cleaning machine fairly cheap – especially if you use Kohl’s coupons… I love mine. They do a really decent job – cheaper than what it costs to have someone do it for you.
    Always good to mark things off a list 🙂 Good luck tackling your next list of things to do… you got this!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:21 pm

We have a corner in the basement, a few shelves in the utility room, and a small pile in the spare bedroom that all need cleaned out. I should’ve done some thing today while I was home. Ha
      I really should just get a rug doctor or something to deep clean the floors. Especially with two dogs running through here. I need one of those and a steamer for the kitchen! I should keep my eyes peeled for Kohls sales or BB&B coupons!
      Thank you!

6. chelseajacobs March 16, 2017 / 12:13 pm

Your spring goals are totally doable! And good for you for being so diligent with meal planning-I really need to get better at that!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:22 pm

I grew up in a house that didn’t meal plan and just added stuff to a list as needed. I guess it worked for my mom, but since I’ve started planning our three or four meals a week and grocery shopping I don’t know that I can go back to that way!

7. SMD @ Life According to Steph March 16, 2017 / 12:21 pm

I hate super cold walks…and so do my dogs. LOL. We do much better in spring and fall. They can’t handle the heat much.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Lylee loves the cold and Enzo loves the heat, so on average we do better in spring and fall, too. Ha. Ly tends to get cabin fever toward the end of winter, though, so we brave the cold every once in a while and leave Enzo at home with K.

8. Shann Eva (@Shanneva) March 16, 2017 / 1:14 pm

I am terrible at meal planning. I need to get better so I’m not scrambling for what to make for dinner every night. I just started writing out my monthly goals again, so I’m hoping that will help keep me more accountable.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:34 pm

I don’t do anything elaborate. I just pick out three recipes in a cookbook or online and jot down the ingredients that I’ll need, then add whatever we’re out of (milk, eggs, bread) to the list and go from there. With our busy schedule, three meals keeps the two of us fed with some nights allotted for leftovers and some for out to eat dinners 🙂

9. StephTheBookworm March 16, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Love your lists and goals! I share a lot of them.

I’m trying to get back on the healthy wagon too. It’s so hard but I’m easing in. Trying to get to the gym 2 times a week and cut back on my junk food a bit.

Yay you for being ahead on your reading goal! I’m always behind lol. I’m shooting for 50 this year. Fingers crossed I’ll get there!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 3:43 pm

I’m never ahead and right now I’m in the middle of some books that are taking more time than they should. Hopefully I can stay ahead of the game!!
      We need to cut back the junk food. I cut pop out of my diet for a LONG time but now I have a Mt. Dew every so often at work. Ugh. Being healthy is hard. Ha

10. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) March 16, 2017 / 1:37 pm

I’m actually starting my spring cleaning – declutter and organize the heck out of my apartment – project today. I am both happy because my place needs a massive overhaul and cranky because I am lazy. Very, very lazy. 😀 Yay on being ahead in your book reading goal, which is, of course, the important one. 😀

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:08 pm

I’m slowly but surely working my way through the clutter. Very, very slowly, though. Ha.
      I’m not sure how long I’ll be ahead of that reading goal. My guess is not long.

11. Jana @ Jana Says March 16, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I am not a morning person and I own it. I do what I need to and that’s it. Unfortunately my daughter’s school and husband’s work don’t care that my peak hours start at 10 AM and force me out of bed at 7.

My dogs are on a schedule of their own making and I just follow it. Easier than cleaning up accidents in the house.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Ha. I HATE mornings. In college I was so productive between the hours of 10pm and 2am. Obviously that doesn’t work any more thanks to work and life.

I mean a walk schedule and eating schedule- not so much potty breaks. They let me know when THEY’RE ready to go out- often. Ha.

12. Carolann March 16, 2017 / 2:45 pm

I love that you are tackling one thing at a time — meal prep and blog scheduling, now you can go onto other schedules. I sometimes feel like it’s either all or nothing. If everything isn’t planned and organized, then nothing is, but one thing at a time is probably a better way to go. You should post about how you mean plan!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I agree. I think my downfall in the past has been trying to tackle it all. Meal prep/grocery shopping was easy enough to handle on its own. Would a post like that interest you?? I will definitely draft something up and see if I can make it entertaining 😉

13. Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. March 16, 2017 / 3:44 pm

I love the idea of doing goals by season! It’s not as frequent as monthly but not as drawn out as annual!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:15 pm

Seasonal goals are SO manageable. It makes it easier to tackle them and I feel good about checking them off.

14. Lauren Becker March 16, 2017 / 4:22 pm

I think you did a pretty good job with your goals! Sometimes it’s hard to get everything done that you want. I’ve been pretty good with meal planning myself – cooking a lot at home which is pretty new to me, but it’s good to know now!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Thank you! Winter was more about being lazy I think, lol. I feel much more motivated in the springtime!

15. San March 16, 2017 / 4:36 pm

I love that you’re scrapbooking – I used to do that but haven’t kept it up in a long time.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:17 pm

I didn’t get to do it as much while I was in college but now one of our spare rooms is my office/craft room so I can pop in and do a few pages without having to clean everything up. It’s convenient!

16. texerinsydney March 16, 2017 / 4:45 pm

When you make a goal list like this, I think it’s important to acknowledge and be happy with what you accomplished, then move forward with what needs to be done. Sounds like that’s exactly what you’re doing. Well done!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Thanks, Erin! Sometimes I forget about the list and tackle a big task, then go to check it off and realize it wasn’t even on my list, ha. That’s frustrating because then I don’t get to check anything off. Lol

17. Lindsay March 16, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Wow 40 books?! I have like zero time to read for fun with graduate school but I think that’s a really awesome goal. My goals are to read my stack of magazines that I pay for! lol

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:20 pm

Last year I read 26 books so 40 is definitely a challenge for me! Lol

18. alexxasays March 16, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Thanks for mentioning Goodreads!! I’m trying to read more this year too. Have you tried one of those perfect meal portion services? My fiance & I have been using HelloFresh for 6 months now & love it! I get coupon codes all the time, I can send you one if your interested in trying one 🙂

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:24 pm

We’ve used HelloFresh in the past and really enjoyed it! We were using it before I started meal planning so it’s kind of what pushed me to start 😀

19. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue March 16, 2017 / 10:01 pm

I am a morning person & normally love (maybe that’s a little strong, but it’s not THAT hard and I feel good once I do it) to get up early and get things done before the kids are up BUT this week daylight savings has been SOOOOO tough!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:35 pm

I wish I was 😦 College was my jam because my peak hours are 10pm to 2am. Ha.
      I do feel SUPER good when I wake up early-ish on Saturdays and get work done!

20. Kim Airhart March 17, 2017 / 9:43 am

Good goals. I have always wanted to be a morning person. I’m getting better since I started going to bed earlier and no more wine at night. lol.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:37 pm

My husband is a morning person and it drives him nuts that I’m not, lol. If nothing else, I’m going to try and change to drive him a little less crazy. Haha!

21. Nadine March 17, 2017 / 4:46 pm

Yay for meal planning!!! I would be so lost without doing that myself. I used to be such a morning person before Zoe. I cant seem to get myself back to waking up at 430am now when just a few months ago I did it naturally on my own, no clock. Maybe one day. Good luck with your spring goals!!!!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:38 pm

YOU ARE CRAZY! 4:30am??? Ugh! That makes me wanna puke! Ha!! I’d settle for 6::30am!

22. Laura March 17, 2017 / 10:25 pm

I need to be better about exercise too. We joined a gym in January and have gone a whopping there times. I have no motivation for things other than cooking, eating, and reading in the winter!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I feel like people wonder how Planet Fitness can only charge $10 a month and stay in business when the gym seems so empty half the time. It’s because people like us pay $10 a month and NEVER GO. Hahaha. We were doing great for 2 months or so, then life got in the way. Ugh.

23. kathy @ more coffee, less talky March 18, 2017 / 6:54 am

take it one thing at a time! master one thing before mastering another so now that you’re doing well with meal planning, start working on the exercise goal (or next goal of your choosing). it takes time to form the habit so give yourself at least 4-6wks to form that new habit.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Thanks, Kathy! Meal planning seemed like a serious chore at first but now it’s second nature and I can’t imagine NOT doing it. Hopefully that’s how the other goals go, too!

24. Sara March 18, 2017 / 11:37 am

It sounds like you’ve been productive overall! Winter is the worst time for goals and exercise for me, lol! I would love to see yourscrapbooks. I love that you do a yearly one!

25. Emma @ Adventures of a London Kiwi March 20, 2017 / 9:06 am

I love the range of your goals – and they are so S.M.A.R.T (S pecific. M easurable. A ttainable. R ealistic. T imely) which helps to achieve them!

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Oooooh- I’ve never heard that but it totally makes sense and thank you!!

26. Alexandra Consolver March 20, 2017 / 11:23 am

Good luck with your goals! I will maintain until the end of forever that having the goal is half of the battle to begin with. I want to be more on it with rando cleaning tasks like those…! We’ve been doing ok with the cooking, started strong with the exercising… but March has been awful for exercise. But we’ve also been comparatively more busy… bleh. We’ll see how it goes! Good luck with everything! 🙂 XO – Alexandra

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thanks, friend! I’ve started to create a chore chart but I can’t decide if it’s dumb or not, lol. I guess the only way I’ll know is if I try it. Ha.
      We REALLY need to start working out, but I keep saying it and then we don’t do it =/

27. Amanda March 20, 2017 / 11:49 am

I definitely understand feeling guilty about downtime, but everyone needs it! Learning to just lounge and not worry about all the things to do can be so freeing.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:55 pm

It definitely can! I was starting to chill and relax and read or catch a TV show between loads of laundry, but then we had a few business trips and got super busy. Hopefully I get that balance back soon.

28. henatayeb March 20, 2017 / 6:47 pm

Some great goals.
    We feel guilty too.. feel that we are wasting time and should be doing something.

• Louise March 20, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Exactly! But if we don’t invest in downtime and self-care we’re way less productive anyway! Gotta find that balance!

29. Michael March 23, 2017 / 10:50 am

Ok, this is totally unrelated to your post but I love that gif because of the facial expressions on everyone around her. They crack me up.

Getting grease off the cabinets is the worst!! Vinegar and hot water should do it though.

• Louise March 24, 2017 / 4:13 pm

I know! I’m hoping it was like an awards show opening monologue and the people are her aren’t really THAT disgusted with her. Haha! I’m not sure where the gif came from!
      I will have to try that (when I finally get around to it…)!