Things I Never Knew I Never Knew pt. 2

While I consider myself to be intelligent and educated, there are obviously a bazillion things that I don’t know. And then there are a handful of things that I should know, but apparently don’t. (Like this story.) For your entertainment, I’ve collected a few of those recent revelations.

…we all understand the use of this gif, right?

. . .

‘The Beatles’ is a pun. Thank you, Chrissy Teigen.

. . .

The song “Fancy” by Reba McEntire/Bobbie Gentry is about a prostitute (and overcoming poverty). Which makes me feel weird when I groove to it…

. . .

Compton is not in New York. Or Detroit. It’s in LA. I HAD NO IDEA.

. . .

The song ‘Moondance’ is by Van Morrison. I definitely thought it was some old Sinatra song…

. . .

And there we go- a handful of things I should’ve know, that I didn’t, but I do now. I try to keep a running list of this stuff on my phone because every day is a lesson for me, ha. But I’m sure I’m not the only one… right…?

What’s something you recently learned that (you think) should’ve been common knowledge?

56 thoughts on “Things I Never Knew I Never Knew pt. 2

1. lisi ledbetter March 23, 2017 / 4:09 am

this is such a fun idea, need to make notes on these random facts as well.
    my most prominent addition to that collection would be that at my first flight at 16, until I was physically on the plane, I was unaware that you could not actually open the windows. it hit me like a brick wall, needless to say, haha!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Hahaha! That is an amazing one!! If you’ve never been on a plane I can see how that might surprise you, though!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 3:58 pm

I seriously had NO idea… Maybe living on this side of the country made me automatically assume it was Chicago or NY?! I don’t know… lol.

2. Lindsay March 23, 2017 / 7:11 am

Okay I love you and I’m sorry but I laughed so hard about the Compton thing!!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 3:59 pm

I can’t figure out how I got to 26 without ever knowing where Compton was…. Oops. Ha!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:01 pm

I swear every time I learn something like these my jaw just drops and it’s all I think about for a few days. Ha!

3. Elyse March 23, 2017 / 8:13 am

I knew where Compton is but that’s about it. My most recent revelation was that P.S. Actually stood for something…that’s pretty embarrassing that I had no idea.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:04 pm

Hehehe. That’s a good one. I’ve heard the phrase/lyric “Straight Outta Compton” but I just thought it was Detroit. Lol!

4. Ashley Stephenson March 23, 2017 / 8:26 am

This is such a neat idea! I am sure mine would be full each week! I feel like my husband alone tells me a new fact each day!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:07 pm

While I was discovering all this new stuff I found out that my husband thought that coffee got hot because of the warmer under the pot- not because the water/coffee actually comes out of the machine hot. Hahaha! (He is so Mr. Common Sense/Rational so I was SO surprised to find out he didn’t know that. He doesn’t drink coffee, though. Lol.)

5. Beth Kondrick March 23, 2017 / 10:25 am

Ha! I love this post! I think I knew that about the song Fancy, but I haven’t thought about it in a long time and it does kind of make it odd! And I laughed at Chrissy Teigen’s tweet about The Beatles too, I also didn’t really know that, lol!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:10 pm

I’ve heard the song Fancy but I actually put some thought into the last time it came on πŸ™‚ Great song, but a sad story!

6. Michael March 23, 2017 / 10:44 am

HAHA The Beatles one got me. I knew about Fancy. I loved that song as a kid. I didn’t know she was a prostitute then but I knew she was poor and trying to marry up. haha Moondance I knew. And Compton… how did you know know this?! NWA is “straight outta Compton”

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:12 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a song by N.W.A. And if I have, I couldn’t identify it…. ha. Whoops…

7. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue March 23, 2017 / 11:05 am

For the longest time when I was a kid – Probably through high school at least – I imagined Chicago on the east coast midway between DC and NYC. πŸ™‚

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:15 pm

Hehehehehe! That’s great πŸ™‚ I was VERY confused about Ohio geography up until mid-high school. Also, I still think of DC as northeast of us but I think it’s directly east. Maybe even a little southeast…

8. Mattie March 23, 2017 / 11:07 am

I feel like I’ve learned eight things I should’ve known lately, but can’t remember any of them! I still love that peeing story hahaha. But The Beatles being a pun just blew my mind!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:22 pm

My family’s reaction in the peeing story is the best part. Ha. I felt so, so dumb! Haha!
      I’m not a Beatles fan, but I always just thought there were two ways to spell “beetle/beatle”- hahahaha!

9. Rebecca Jo March 23, 2017 / 12:15 pm

So funny you said that – I saw a graphic t-shirt that has the prettiest t-shirts – a lot of Christian ones – & they had one on there that said, “Here’s your one chance fancy”… I was like, WHAT THE WHAT? Do they have any idea what this even means????? I have laughed about it all week!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Whew! That would be a shock, ha! Especially for a company selling Christian-type shirts. Hahaha!

10. Carolann March 23, 2017 / 12:58 pm

This is a fun post! You totally blew my mind on The Beatles thing. I feel like I should have realized/known that. Story about Moondance. My mom loves Van Morrison and this song. Growing up I remember her listening to it. When I was in like 5th grade we were doing a talent show at my Catholic school. I asked the nuns if I could do a dance to Moondance cause I knew it was a song my mom liked. They looked at me in horror. I had no idea why I couldn’t use that song. Years later I was listening to the song and it finally clicked what it was about and I was so embarrassed for my 5th grade self and those poor nuns.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:25 pm

I read this comment to K and we both got a good chuckle from it πŸ˜€ That’s 100% something I would do! Ha!

11. Jana @ Jana Says March 23, 2017 / 2:15 pm

I never got the Beatles thing UNTIL JUST NOW. And I’m WAAAY older than you so please do not feel bad.

I don’t know the song “Fancy” but I will be looking for it on Spotify tout de suite.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:28 pm

I know a lot of (hipster) people my age loooooove The Beatles, but I do not. Lol. I honestly just thought there were two ways to spell the word “beetle/beatle”… ha!

12. Lauren Becker March 23, 2017 / 3:09 pm

This is great! I don’t think I ever thought about The Beatles being a pun before. That video showing it is great though. πŸ™‚

I did know what “Fancy” was about but I grew up on Reba so that makes a bit more sense.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:29 pm

I’ve definitely heard the song “Fancy” hundreds of times, but I finally put some thought into it recently. Lol

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:31 pm

I thought it was a song from the 40s or 50s. I was way off πŸ˜€ Ha!

13. Olya @ The Siberian American March 23, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Oh girl, I could probably write a post like this with a million things on it. There are quite a bit cultural references that don’t make a lot of sense to me because of living in a Russian household. Haha.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Hehe, that WOULD make things a little confusing πŸ™‚ At least you’ve got a bit of an excuse, lol!!

14. Julie Hood March 24, 2017 / 9:01 am

Haha if it makes you feel better, I had no idea Moondance was by our boy Vanny M. And now I’m doubting that Van Morrison is even 1 person or is it a band…..Add it to my list of things I don’t know πŸ˜‰

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:33 pm

Ummm… I’m not sure! πŸ˜€ Ha! My guess is a band…?

15. Stephanie March 24, 2017 / 10:09 am

The ones about Compton and Fancy made me laugh in particular. Hey at least now you know! But yes, the Tupac song… ‘in the city, the city of Compton’ yep that song is called California Love πŸ™‚

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Ha- yeahhh, at least now I know πŸ˜‰ I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever heard that song…!

16. Nadine March 24, 2017 / 11:01 am

I actually knew about Compton because of a movie. I think it was Bring it On actually. LOL

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Hahahahaha!! That’s great!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:37 pm

You know what… I’m not sure if I knew that or not!

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I have to keep a running list on my phone. Otherwise later on I’d be like, “Well duh. I totally knew that!” Ha.

17. needsatimeout March 25, 2017 / 5:03 am

Love this idea as a post.

Leaving a comment was difficult due to forgetting passwords from an old blog.

The Beatles omg I never knew! Waiting for my husband to wake up so I can tell him.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you were able to get it figured out πŸ™‚

18. Laura March 25, 2017 / 10:21 pm

I can’t get past The Beatles being a pun. My mind is blown.

• Louise March 26, 2017 / 4:40 pm

I know! I feel like that was the least well known well-known fact! Haha!

19. StephTheBookworm March 26, 2017 / 5:36 pm

I didn’t know any of those things either, and now I know. Thank ya very much. πŸ˜‰ Now I an trying to rack my brain to think of my own… will report back! Lol

• Louise March 28, 2017 / 2:43 pm

Haha, I’m sure there’s a handful of things I forgot to jot down and share here πŸ™‚

20. Hena Tayeb March 27, 2017 / 2:18 pm

lol i didn’t know any of these things either. Learn something new everyday.

• Louise March 28, 2017 / 2:43 pm

No kidding! Glad I could share some knowledge! Lol!

21. kristen March 27, 2017 / 2:29 pm

the beatles is a pun?! what?! WHAT. it took me years to realise n*sync was like.. in sync… der. and i always wondered why 98 degrees named themselves that, like what a stupid name. i was like why not 99? or 100? and that’s a lot of degrees! you’d be dead! that was before i understood Celsius and Fahrenheit apparently. and i only understood why it was 98 degrees when KC was talking about body temp and i asked what the normal was supposed to be and he just looked at me like i was the nutter.
    anywho. moving on.

• Louise March 28, 2017 / 2:46 pm

Considering the majority of the world uses Celsius, I can see how that band name would be REALLY confusing. Hahaha! I’ve never been a Beatles fan so I’ve never put thought into it- I always just thought there were two ways to spell beetle/beatle. Lol!

22. Lacey Bean March 28, 2017 / 10:48 am

Ummmm I didn’t realize that the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion from The Wizard of OZ were the three farmhands in the beginning of the movie. I didn’t figure this out until I was in my twenties!! Hahaha.

• Louise March 28, 2017 / 2:47 pm

Hehe, that’s a good one! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that movie, but I feel like that’s definitely a major part! Haha!

23. Robin March 28, 2017 / 11:50 pm

Not one specific thing, but I might watch a movie for the 100th time and suddenly notice//realize something for the first time.

• Louise March 30, 2017 / 8:31 am

Yep. That happens to me often πŸ™‚ There’s one movie in particular but of course I can’t think of it right now… lol.