Halloween 101

Some people don’t do Halloween and some people are professional Halloween-ers. I believe I fall into the latter category. Since the blog world is all about sharing how-tos, I decided today was the perfect day for a How To ~Halloween~ post.

(1) First things first… You need to get in the Halloween spirit (pun intended). Halloween movies come in all forms of scariness…

Less Scary: Hotel Transylvania, Monster House, Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, and obviously It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (airing Sunday at 8pm on ABC)

Moderately Scary: Sleepy Hollow, The Shining, IT (the 1990 one)

I’d recommend some horror/scary movies but I don’t watch them… lol. You don’t have to love horror to love Halloween πŸ˜‰

Freeform (cough*ABC Family*cough) always disappoints me with their 13 Nights of Halloween, but if you’d like to check out that list you can find it here

(2) Now it’s time to figure out your costume…

Some super simple costumes include: cat, witch, a Grecian goddess or Medusa, a princess, or this scarecrow.

Check these out, too…

(3) If you’re hosting a party this year* you’ll need a few snacks & drinks:

• I’m making Nadine’s spinach & artichoke dip and calling it Zombie Brains πŸ˜‰
  • This veggie tray is SO simple
Originally found here

*obviously you don’t need to host anything to enjoy these snacks

(Here are the posts from our Halloween Parties in 2014, 2015, & 2016!)

(4) My go-to places for Halloween decorations include HomeGoods, Marshalls, JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and any local craft show or fall festival.

With every holiday and every year I promise this ledge will get better πŸ™‚

In need of some music? This is a Spotify playlist from Alexandra rocks!

What are some must-haves for your Halloween season? Do you have any big plans this weekend? Our annual party is Saturday night and I’m so excited!!

28 thoughts on “Halloween 101

1. Lauren Becker October 26, 2017 / 10:37 am

I LOVE Halloween. It’s by far my favorite holiday. I used to do a different themed party every year (my favorite was probably Clue) but I haven’t in years now. It just got difficult for my friends to attend because a lot of them work weekends, have kids, etc. I hope you have a great party though!! I need to come back and check out that awesome playlist!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:00 pm

We’ve thrown a party every year for the last… 5 years, maybe? I usually do a theme (and I kind of did this year), but this year was more of a housewarming party for us πŸ˜‰

2. kathy @ more coffee, less talky October 26, 2017 / 10:41 am

Seeing that Kayla got herself grounded from Halloween, we are just handing out candy…but I did let her decorate our porch.

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Awww, bummer for Kayla! (But yay no costume stress, ha!) We’ll be handing out candy on Tuesday and I’m so excited to see all the kids in costumes!

3. Stephanie October 26, 2017 / 10:57 am

I love it all πŸ™‚ Thanks for including my post!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:04 pm

Heck yay! Halloween Queens have to stick together πŸ˜‰ Lol!

4. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) October 26, 2017 / 11:52 am

Halloween is a huge deal in LA. People go all out but I’m lazy. I sadly get no trick or treaters in my apartment but I still enjoy the holiday and make Max dress up. This year I’m extra excited because I get a sweet treat. My lone sweet treat for the month! So I am counting down the days! I am going to pick the most awesome dessert (haven’t decided what) and watch a scary movie. Maybe Conjuring 2. I’ve already watched Hocus Pocus like 3 times. I’m sure I’ll see it at least one more time before Halloween. Freeform (seriously ABC Family was a better name) airs it a million times.

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:05 pm

I think a sweet treat, a festive cat, and a Halloween movie is the perfect way to celebrate!! I’d LOVE to see some LA Halloween festivities- I bet that’d be awesome!

5. Lindsay October 26, 2017 / 1:17 pm

This is perfect! We’re having a party Saturday and I needed some good snack ideas. Will definitely be making the veggie tray!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:07 pm

The veggie tray is so simple πŸ™‚ My sister-in-law actually made ours this year and shaped it like a jack-o-lantern. It’s the little things, ya know? Ha!

6. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue October 26, 2017 / 2:06 pm

You ARE a professional Halloween-er! So impressed.
    I love your “We can do it” costume! And your decorations are great. I love the fall sign with (of course) a dog!
    I have been in the doesn’t-do-Halloween camp until the past couple years with the kids. This weekend we’re doing a Halloween party at preschool and a trunk-or-treat at church and carving pumpkins.

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Haha- thank you!!
      I think it’ll be so fun to impart my Halloween love on future kids πŸ™‚ I hope we can find some neat things to do, too!!

7. Carolann October 27, 2017 / 1:14 am

I love this post because I love Halloween but Nick doesn’t, which means we don’t usually do anything aside from watching It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. However, once of my friends is really into Halloween, so she has me covered. She’s hosting a masquerade murder mystery party which I am so excite for! And she’s organized a bunch of us to go see Rocky Horror on Halloween. I’m really getting into it this year!! I like parties where they tell you how to dress up, like Rocky Horror and this masquerade ball, because I get so overwhelmed with costume choices!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:15 pm

I saw the pics from your party- you looked great! I usually give our guys a theme to work with, although one year I did a murder mystery and they all had assigned characters πŸ™‚ I looove Halloween. K isn’t a huge fan of the strange and unusual, but he fakes it for a few days for me. Ha πŸ˜€

8. Alexandra Consolver October 27, 2017 / 10:25 am

Thank you for sharing my links!! I LOOOOVE Halloween! & I love that you love Halloween! & I love your Halloween posts. I hope that you have a great one, even though the festivities happen during your move this year! I hope you are still able to get festive! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the reminder about Hotel Transylvania! I loved it… and totally forgot.. somehow! Plans made now! πŸ˜› XO – Alexandra

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:16 pm

You’re welcome and thank you! Haha!!
      Your Snape and Trelawney costumes were P E R F E C T I O N.
      We had a nice party with a good group of people πŸ™‚ I’m surprised I managed to get so many decorations up. Lol!

9. StephTheBookworm October 27, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Oooh, I love this post because of my Halloween obsession! I love the little sneak peek of the new house too! I can’t wait to hear about your Halloween this year. πŸ™‚

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:17 pm

I busted my butt to get some Halloween decor up πŸ™‚ Thank you!
      I’m sharing about the party tomorrow!! It was a fun time!

10. akaleistar October 28, 2017 / 8:14 pm

What fun ideas, and thanks for the shout out!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Thanks! Your quick costume ideas this year were/are genius!!

11. Elyse October 29, 2017 / 3:07 pm

Love these ideas! I’ll admit I am not a huge fan of Halloween – mostly the dressing up and party things BUT I do love spooky or Halloween-themed animated movies – Over the Garden Wall, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, ParaNorman and Coraline are some of my favourites!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:19 pm

I’ve never heard of Over the Garden Wall and I’ve never seen ParaNorman, but I will now be checking both of those out!! Have you see The Witches? It’s a good spooky kids movie.

12. chelseajacobs October 30, 2017 / 8:54 am

the apple teeth are so cute!!

• Louise October 30, 2017 / 1:20 pm

They’re *almost* healthy, too! Hahaha. (But do marshmallows even count…?)

13. chelsea @ the new wifestyle October 31, 2017 / 11:25 pm

yay! super solid list on halloweening! i am so not a scary movie watcher anymore so sign me up for hocus pocus (viewed on saturday) and halloween town!

• Louise November 3, 2017 / 8:49 am

Oops! I always forget Halloweentown! Since a good one, though!
      I loooove Halloween but dislike horror. Glad I’m not the only one πŸ™‚

14. Emelia Lawrence November 3, 2017 / 6:08 pm

Your decor is so good- I love it all! Black Magic Woman…yesssss, such a good tune!

• Louise November 6, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Thank you!! I’m glad I got some of it up before the holiday was over πŸ™‚