Waitress in Cleveland

My talented, vivacious, beautiful friend Aubrey offered me two tickets to see Waitress at Playhouse Square in Cleveland last month, so I invited my mom along and we made a night of it! (We had less than 24 hours notice so it was a whirlwind!)

Knowing how Cleveland gets on a Friday night, Mom and I arrived in the city roughly 2 hours before showtime. (Fortunately the Cavs were out of town!) We parked across from the theater and decided to find some noms before the show. Rookie mistakes: Reservations are a must in Cleveland on a Friday night in the theater district. Lol

Fortunately, after putting our names on a waiting list and flashing our puppy-dog eyes, we snagged a table at Cowell & Hubbard, an upscale eatery a block down from the show. Our sever was only three days into his job and so nervous but so so good! He explained all the specials to us and obliged our weird orders and time restraints.

Mom and I each got an appetizer. She ordered Foie Gras (BLEH) and I got chicken spring rolls. Our second course was a cup of tomato bisque for me and Brussels sprouts salad for Mom.

To be totally honest, nothing really impressed me (except the service). My soup was ok but not spectacular and my chicken spring rolls weren’t the best I’d ever had. But then we ordered dessert…

Oh em gee. My caramel apple cheesecake was awesome. Mom got the peanut butter and jelly creme brulee and it was killer. Seriously… a ridiculously good note to end on.

After dinner we hightailed it to the box office to retrieve out tix and find our seats. After a quick hug and “hello” to Aubrey and her fiancee Alyssa we found our seats and settled in.

I loved this musical. There were a handful of story lines that I didn’t agree with, but I think that’s what made the story so beautiful and relateable and real. All the characters were flawed but the best ones exuded so much kindness. And the music? Sara Bareilles is a composing goddess. If this musical comes to a theater near you, I recommend you go πŸ™‚

Thank you to my mom for going with me last minute! (And for reserving judgement when I cried like a toddler for the last 20 minutes of the show.) And THANK YOU to Aubrey for the tickets!!

The best part might have been Sara Bareilles coming out at the final curtain. I just really love her. It made me cry even harder.
When spontaneous nights are this incredible it lifts your soul.

36 thoughts on “Waitress in Cleveland

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:44 pm

It was a really fun evening!

1. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue November 7, 2017 / 8:40 am

I love the movie Waitress! Would love to see the musical too. What a fun night with your mom. The desserts look divine!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:45 pm

I haven’t seen the movie (yet) but I heard it’s great as well!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:46 pm

I’m still drooling over those desserts… so good!

2. Nadine November 7, 2017 / 10:04 am

What a fun night out!! It sounds like the musical was fantastic, I am not sure if it will come here or not…I will have to look. And it sounds like dessert was the main attraction at that place and can certainly make up for the other food haha.

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:48 pm

The dessert definitely made up for everything! I hope the musical comes your way!!

3. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) November 7, 2017 / 11:14 am

I love musicals but I’m not familiar with Waitress. Now I need to look it up because it sounds fantastic. I love spontaneous trips like this! And your desserts sounded delectable. πŸ˜€

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:49 pm

It’s based on the movie of the same name. Sara Bareilles composed the whole thing and it’s so so beautifully done!

4. Rebecca Jo November 7, 2017 / 11:38 am

I love anything musical or play. So entertaining. I’m always in awe of all the actors in these things.

As long as dessert is good, everything else can be bad πŸ˜‰

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:51 pm

The cast for Waitress was awesome! Jason Mraz is actually touring with them now! I wish I’d have seen it with him! Although the guy who played his character was awesome, too!

5. everything with love November 7, 2017 / 11:39 am

it’s coming here this month, and my mom is trying to get a couple extra tickets to bring the girls…they saw it in new york and said it was amazing. i am crossing my fingers and toes now after seeing your experience!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:51 pm

Oh man… I really hope you ladies get to go!! It was fantastic!

6. chelseajacobs November 7, 2017 / 11:47 am

I know exactly what you mean about nights like that lifting your soul! So glad you had one of those ❀ and umm THAT CHEESECAKE!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I’m still dreaming about the cheesecake…. SO good.

7. StephTheBookworm November 7, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful time. Sara Bareilles was there?! Wow! Is she always there?
    This looks like a great show and I hope it comes to my theatre at some point. I have season passes and I’d love to see it.
    That dessert looks unreal. YUM.

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:57 pm

I don’t THINK she’s always with them, but she was in Cleveland. My friend Aubrey actually got to interview Sara. I am/was soooo jealous! Hopefully you get to see the musical!

8. SMD November 7, 2017 / 5:28 pm

It’s based on the movie right?

Holy balls dinner looks AMAZING! I’m glad you guys got in and glad you made the whole night happen on little notice.

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 5:58 pm

It is based on the movie. I haven’t seen the movie, though. I definitely want to now!

9. Carolann November 7, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Oh my gosh! This looks like such a fun night and the musical sounds great. The #1 thing I miss about living in New York and Connecticut is being able to go to NYC and see the Broadway shows all of the time. However, we do have a theatre here in Hawaii that puts on shows like that. I have never been, but I got tickets to see A Charlie Brown Christmas. It’s going to be Nick’s birthday present since his birthday is December 7. I’m so excited!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:04 pm

I think it’d be awesome to be in a place like NYC for the theatrical aspect. I don’t know about the crowds or city life aspect. Hahaha. I think A Charlie Brown Christmas sounds awesome!!

10. Bento Momentos November 7, 2017 / 10:35 pm

PBJ creme brulee? Oooh baby! Sounds like a great date with your mom πŸ™‚

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:05 pm

It was all soooo delicious! Definitely a fun night!

11. Alexandra Consolver November 8, 2017 / 9:22 am

I find that often with “fancy” restaurants… I don’t love it. LOL. The dessert sounds great though,and is often an exception! We ended up buying tickets after you went to see it in KC later this month!! πŸ™‚ I am so excited!! I love the movie, but I was on the fence about the music. KC was pretty indifferent, but it’s on my 10,000 day bday.. so I picked. πŸ˜› So glad you guys had fun! XO – Alexandra

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:08 pm

We’re going to another musical this month at the same theater and we’re trying out a different restaurant. Fingers crossed for that one!!
      I hope you love the musical!!I’ve never seen the movie and I don’t usually like musicals, but I really really enjoyed Waitress πŸ™‚

12. Kristen from Pugs & Pearls November 8, 2017 / 1:05 pm

How special! I always love doing something fun with my momma. Looks like you guys had a great time. There is nothing like live performances!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:09 pm

We loved it so much we’re dragging our husbands (my dad and my husband) plus my brother and his wife up there in a few weeks for Wicked. I’m so excited!!

13. https://my30somethingadventures.wordpress.com/ November 10, 2017 / 6:56 am

Looks like you had a wonderful evening with your mom. The food looks so good and the desserts look amazing πŸ™‚

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:10 pm

It was a really fun night. I’m honestly still thinking about that dessert. Sooooo good πŸ™‚

14. Elyse November 10, 2017 / 1:33 pm

What an amazing evening with your mom! The food looks so yummy!

• Louise November 10, 2017 / 6:11 pm

It was a really fun night! Definitely something we don’t usually get to do! We’re headed back up there in a few weeks, though. This time for Wicked!

15. chelsea @ the new wifestyle November 15, 2017 / 9:59 am

so glad you got into that restaurant – the food looks amazing! i love that you had a fun night with your mom! mother/daughter stuff is so fun (now that we are adults) ha!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Me too! I’d have been grumpy allll night if I hadn’t eaten (because I’m an adult, hahaha)!

16. Jenny @ Unremarkable Files November 15, 2017 / 5:12 pm

We don’t even have a laundry room. We have a laundry closet that is exactly the size of our washer/dryer!

• Louise November 20, 2017 / 10:31 am

Oh man… I don’t know that I’d survive with how much laundry you guys are probably going through!! Lol