I More Than Love You

Last week we kicked off our trade show/travel season at work. It’s a six month chunk with roughly nine potential shows or competitions spread throughout. (We also do a trip in August.) I spend a great deal of time with my husband regardless, but traveling together pushes us physically closer for longer stretches of time in higher stress situations.

So natural I got to thinking about our marriage.

I really enjoy my husband. I think he’s funny and witty and smarter than even he knows (and, trust me, he thinks plenty highly of himself). He’s sarcastic and not romantic (in the traditional sense) and not nearly as sentimental as me, though, so I don’t always tell him how gosh damn wonderful I think he is.

But I realized this weekend- five years post wedding & 11 years after agreeing that we should, in fact, date- that I ought to tell him sometimes.

I drank a few adult beverages one night on our recent business trip and *accidentally* gushed to a mutual friend about how our business’ success is 50% luck and 50% my husband (plus all the people we’ve had cycle in and out over the last 6 years, self included). I told them that K has a large ego so I’d never tell him this, but he’s so damn smart- socially & logically. He has no business or engineering education but he’s really done something incredible with the company.

The applicable part of this story is that I have these thoughts about K but I don’t ever tell him. Maybe our marriage is rare, but I doubt it. Chances are there are some “obvious” things you admire about your spouse (or grandma or brother or best friend) that you don’t tell them because… well… why would or should you?

So I’m encouraging you to tell them. It makes your marriage or relationship or work experience or neighborhood that much better. People like being told that the things they’re doing and saying every single day are being noticed and admired and appreciated.

They say to tell loved ones that you love them. Or to say thank you more often. Or to spend quality time with people. But I also encourage you to notice what you admire or appreciate about someone & tell them.

24 thoughts on “I More Than Love You

1. Radi November 20, 2018 / 2:11 am

Aww this is so cute. I definitely try to tell the people around me about their great qualities that make an impact on me.

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:15 am

I realize that I’m terrible about doing that. Good for you for remember to dish out the compliments, Radi!

2. Lindsay November 20, 2018 / 9:08 am

I love this and think you are right! You never know how much it might mean to someone to hear it.

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:17 am

I know random, seemingly small compliments mean the world to me (“I love your writing”, “Your eyebrows look great today”, “You’re such an xyz expert”). I sometimes forget to give them, though. Trying to be better!

3. Rebecca Jo November 20, 2018 / 9:44 am

It’s so easy to just not tell people things that would be powerful to them, isn’t it? What a good reminder. The ones we married obviously have lots of qualities we love – I’m going to try & be more active on giving that assurance & positive feedback. Thanks for this post!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:17 am

I definitely compliment people in my head… I just need to be better about telling them πŸ™‚

4. ShootingStarsMag November 20, 2018 / 11:11 am

Aw, I love this. It really can be easy to notice and appreciate things about a person but you don’t ever tell them…and we should do it more often! I know I like when someone compliments me. πŸ™‚

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:18 am

I agree! I think positive things about people all the time but don’t ever say them aloud. I definitely want to be better about it πŸ™‚

5. Grace Rebele November 20, 2018 / 11:52 am

This is super sweet and totally true! I think I forgot to tell my husband all the things I love and admire about him.

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:23 am

My husband has quite the ego (I mean, who doesn’t?) so I rarely shower him with compliments… but I definitely could throw a few more out than I do πŸ˜‰

6. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) November 20, 2018 / 12:04 pm

So true. We often forget to tell the ones who matter most that things we appreciate and/or love about them. A great reminder to do better at this and really make someone’s day! πŸ˜€

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:27 am

Yep, I definitely need to get much much better about this!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:29 am

Thanks, friend! ❀

7. carolann823 November 20, 2018 / 5:25 pm

This is so sweet. I love how you and K are not only partners but business partners too!! I love that you both thrive in this way. My love language is definitly verbal so I feel like I tell Nick a lot how much I appreciate him, but I don’t always show him in the way that he needs!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:31 am

Thanks, Carolann! ❀ We have moments of…. turmoil… but for the most part I really like working with K. We're both always trying to get better about how we speak to each other (both at home and at work), and how we compliment and support one another. It's a constant work in progress for most couples, I think πŸ™‚ Our languages are quality time (me) and acts of service (K) so sometimes words of affirmation go by the wayside.

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:32 am

Thank you! Just a daily reminder to myself to be kinder and better to those around me πŸ™‚

8. Kay November 22, 2018 / 10:11 am

This is so sweet and adorable. Love is lovely!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:33 am

Thanks, Kay! We’re always working on trying to make one another feel loved and supported πŸ™‚

9. Emelia A Lawrence November 23, 2018 / 8:39 am

I really love this. It’s so special to remind your partner how much they’re loved and appreciated. Love this reminder and sentiment. So sweet girlfriend!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:34 am

Thank you! I’m terrible at verbally dishing compliments to people. I can do it through text and I can say it to other people about that person, but I fail when it comes to actually admiring that human to their face. Certainly a habit I’d like to get better about!

10. Kristen from Pugs & Pearls November 27, 2018 / 9:58 am

So, so sweet Audrey! It’s sounds like you have a pretty great guy! I couldn’t agree more, if you love something about someone you just have to tell them!

• Audrey November 28, 2018 / 8:36 am

Thanks, Kristen! He’s great 95% of the time πŸ˜‰ Hahaha! I’m the one that chooses to be around him 100% of the time, though, so I can live with the 5%. LOL
      For as much time as I spend with him though, I need to be better about practicing kindness and generosity toward him πŸ™‚