Hello, again. Saturday is my 30th birthday. Tomorrow is my last day “in my twenties.” I don’t think I’ll wake up feeling any differently on Saturday, but it’s a strange transition nonetheless.
I loved my twenties. I went to India, graduated college, moved out of my parents’ house, adopted several puppers, married K, had my little Moo, bought and sold a few houses, traveled, found my (fingers crossed) forever job… It was a decade of discovery and growth and freedom. I squeezed a lot into those ten years. K was with me for all of it, too ❤️
I momentarily freaked out when I hit 25 but I have no qualms about 30. I truly have everything I want and I’m excited to live my life in that mindset. We’re comfortable, we’re in love, we’re happy. Is 2020 a weird sh*t show? For sure. But personally I’m entering my 30s with confidence.
As such, I thought I’d share 30 thoughts/tips/pieces of advice that I live by…
- Look up.
- People, animals, and experiences will make you rich. Things will not.
- Speak clearly and learn to communicate well. It will alleviate so much heartache.
- Spending money to get your dog(s) groomed is worth it.
- When you can help someone, help them. When you need help, ask for it.
- Pay attention to what and who bring you joy- then invest your time & energy there.
- Find your people and show up for them. Quality over quantity.
- Know how to calm your mind: pray, read, meditate, write. I prefer sitting in the dark.
- Clean your dishwasher & washing machines. I guarantee they’re gross.
- Same with fan blades.
- The miracle of aging is a gift. Accept your mortality & appreciate your longevity.
- “No” is a complete sentence.
- Eating chocolate before bed makes for some really weird dreams.
- You’re not for everyone. Everyone’s not for you. See #23.
- The most rewarding things are often the hardest things.
- You can do hard things.
- Less really is more.
- Order a side of gravy for dipping when you get fries at Dairy Queen. Trust me.
- Eat your veggies. And if you don’t like veggies, change how you cook them. They’re delish.
- Honesty is the best policy but sometimes silence is the best option.
- Respect your sig. other & give him or her the benefit of the doubt. They are on your side.
- Drink more water.
- It takes all kinds of kinds.
- Wild animals are meant to be wild.
- The grass is greener where you water it. (K says this a lot actually.)
- Adopt don’t shop.
- Always try to be kind. You don’t always need to be nice, though.
- Absolutely positively NOTHING is guaranteed. And no one owes you a damn thing.
- It’s not a good deal if you can’t afford it.
- Blowing out someone else’s candle doesn’t make yours brighter.
Just call me the Audi Lama. I kid, I kid. Sometimes (often) I fail to take my own advice, but over the past three decades these are the things I’ve learned bring me the most joy and serenity.
What am I doing for my birthday, you ask? Getting a professional manicure (FINALLY! I’ll be masked up, obvi), going on a family hike, and playing a board game at home. Coming into my 30s like a mad woman! 😉