The Roaring Swinging Fabulous Groovy Blog Collaboration | The 1970s

Welcome back! I know I literally JUST said I wasn’t going to be around much but this collaboration with Alexandra (and the Show Us Your Books link-up next week) requires my attention πŸ™‚

This week we’re exploring the 1970s.

On the first Tuesday of the month, February through November, we’re highlighting books & films from/about specific eras that we recommend! (Television shows, too, sometimes!) There’s no commitment or link-up during those months on your end, but in December we’ll host a recap/link-up for the entire year!

My post is very light. I tend to avoid things set in the 60s and 70s because I just don’t relate to that era or the popular culture within it. I wish I’d had more time to read and watch more 70s entertainment but… well… life. So without further ado…

B O O K S

All I’ve got are movies today… Anyone have some 70s-set book recs?

M O V I E SΒ

(1970s) I know it’s super stupid and sexist, but Anchorman is a favorite in our family. I think it might just be the quotability. “You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole… wheel of cheese? How’d you do that? I’m not even mad, that’s amazing.”

(1971) Any time a high school teacher didn’t want to teach we watched Remember the Titans. Usually it was a social studies teacher- who was also a coach. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a GREAT movie. But it reminds me of lazy days in school. We are Marshall is another good football movie from the 70s (& I’ve been to that campus!).

(1973) Admittedly it’s not my favorite one, but X-Men: Days of Future Past is set smack dab in the middle of the 1970s. I love that it has lots of Jackman, Fassbender, McAvoy, and Lawrence, as well as a bunch of the lesser known mutants. That said, it’s essentially a gateway to the new wave of X-Men movies- bridging the time warp.

*dates indicate setting, not release

B O N U S

Nofin’.

On the Shelf…

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah is definitely on my tbr list.

As far as movies go, I think Now and Then (1970) sounds cute.

I warned you this was a short post πŸ˜‰ Skip over to Alexandra’s blog to see her 1970s recommendations!

Can you believe we’re already moonwalking our way into the 1980s next month?! Join us as we say goodbye to The Cold War, John Lennon, and Bob Marley, and say hello to leg warmers, heavy metal bands, and the Brat Pack!

Did you miss our previous decades-themed posts? Find them here:Β 1910,Β 1920,Β 1930,Β 1940,Β 1950, 1960

20 thoughts on “The Roaring Swinging Fabulous Groovy Blog Collaboration | The 1970s

1. Lauren Becker August 7, 2018 / 8:07 am

You DEFINITELY have to watch Now and Then. It’s so cute. I actually really liked X-Men: Days of Future Past. And Anchorman is definitely a fun one to quote!!

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:15 pm

One of these evenings when I’m looking for a cute classic I’ll try to stream Now and Then πŸ™‚
      Anchorman is going to be a classic comedy some day. I’m sure of it.
      I don’t mind Day of Future Past- especially the humor- but First Class is my favorite of this X-Men era.

2. Rebecca Jo August 7, 2018 / 9:32 am

70’s πŸ™‚ My birth decade & young girl years. Book – I just keep thinking of Judy Blume & Beverely Cleary books πŸ™‚

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:15 pm

I’ve only ever read one Judy Blume book! Gasp! I know!

3. Kay R. August 7, 2018 / 9:36 am

I have no book recs for the 70’s but I cant wait to follow along and see what you choose. What an awesome collab.

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:19 pm

Thanks, Kay! It’s been fun so far πŸ™‚ We started with the 1910s in February- it’s hard to believe we covered the 1970s this month!

4. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) August 7, 2018 / 10:52 am

I was born in the 70s but was small enough that from a pop culture standpoint I don’t really recall specifics. It’s the 80s and on I really remember. With that said, YAS to Anchorman. It’s so stupid and yet so hilarious. I also really liked Remember the Titans, I was out of school when it came out (you youngin’) so it wasn’t the movie teachers used when they didn’t want to teach but the movie I watched to get my Denzel on.

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:24 pm

The culture in the 70s (and 60s) doesn’t appeal to me much… I’m not a big hippie person, Woodstock never fascinated me, and I don’t actually like the Beatles. I know that makes me strange and in the minority…… lol

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:33 pm

SO many blogger have raved about it! I think I probably need to put it on hold at the library now so I can read it before the year is over. Lol

5. Alexandra Consolver August 9, 2018 / 9:48 am

oh man.. I am so with you, lol! I am not into the 1970s… oy. I wonder if I would like those football sorts of movies… hmm… ponder…. Not sure I’ll be much help with the 80s either… we’ll see. XO – Alexandra

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:38 pm

Hehehe… I could find some recommendations for all the other decades. This one was TOUGH, though. I think I’ll be ok in the 1980s. I need to dig in soon and see what I can find πŸ™‚

6. Emma @ Adventures of a London Kiwi August 9, 2018 / 11:06 am

The 70s was something else wasn’t it!

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Definitely a unique time in the world’s history!

7. Dani August 9, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Anchorman is one of those so-bad-it’s-good movies, and I love all the quotes! Now and Then was such a great movie. I hope you get to see it soon!

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:43 pm

So true! We quote it ALL THE TIME in our house. Ha.
      So many people have said that about Now and Then! I’m going to have to!

8. DanielleTodd (@DanielleTodd) August 10, 2018 / 4:46 pm

We quote the Anchorman constantly at our house too. That movie is pure gold.

I finished The Great Alone recently and I would highly recommend. Also, with regard to the 70s, I really loved a book called “The Ruins of California” by Martha Sherrill. It’s a light, coming of age in the 70s, beach read kind of book.

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:44 pm

So true.
      I will definitely add The Ruins of California to my tbr list! Thank you!!

• Audrey August 15, 2018 / 3:45 pm

Agreed!! Talladega Nights and Step Brothers are my other two favorite Will Ferrell classics!