Books I Want to Read – Summer 2017

Like most folks on GoodReads, I have a never ending list of “to read” books. I’m taking a page post out of Alexandra‘s and Kelly‘s blogs and rattling off a few novels I want to tackle this summer.

Hopefully a few of these fall in line with Erin‘s next challenge, too! That starts July 1st so I have a little break between now and then to tackle as many of these books as I can!

Yes Please (Amy Poehler).
I added this to my bookshelf in July 2015, then I received it as a gift this year for Valentine’s Day. I enjoyed Tina’s and Mindy’s books so I’m looking forward to this one, too.

The Heir & The Crown (Kiera Cass).
Two separate books- numbers 4 and 5 in The Selection series. I’ve made it this far… I might as well finish out the series.

Scarlet (A.C. Gaughen).
I believe Alexandra put this on my radar a few month ago (er, maybe a year ago?). Either way… I’m putting it at the top of the list.

The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well (Meik Wiking).
Everyone’s reading it sooo… I want to, too.

The Wrath & The Dawn (Renee Ahdieh).
I’m going to finally attempt to link-up with Carolann‘s monthly GoodReads book club. This is the May book.

The Sisters Brothers (Patrick deWitt).
Erin sent me this book a few weeks ago and I’m dying to start it! That cover is so intriguing!

Three Dark Crowns (Kendare Blake).
I’ve heard good things about this book and it’s got a nice mix of royalty and fantasy. Those two genres are usually right up my alley.

Either Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses (Sarah J. Maas).
Any recommendations on which I should start?

Help me out with the Maas books. And tell me what you’re planning on reading this summer!

34 thoughts on “Books I Want to Read – Summer 2017

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I can’t decide if I want to read it now or wait until the weather gets colder and I’m in the mood for “cozy.” Lol

1. Olya @ The Siberian American May 18, 2017 / 1:45 am

I want to finish out the rest of the Selection series soon too. I know I have The Heir somewhere. Just need to find it after our move! Haha.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:26 pm

They read so quickly. I have my cousin’s copy that I need to read and give back, then I’ll have to get the last one from the library. Maybe if I reserve it now it’ll give me that kick I need to start them. Ha.

2. Confuzzled Bev May 18, 2017 / 2:15 am

I have so many books on my to-read list! Current plan is to try and get through some of the ones I already own before Erin’s next challenge starts (and hope the rest can be fit into the categories!). So finish Sophie’s World, read the last two books in the Lying Game series and then I have a book called Silence is Goldfish that I can’t wait to start!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:28 pm

A few of these I own or I have borrowed from family/friends. I think those are probably my priority.

3. Miranda May 18, 2017 / 9:04 am

These look like great summer picks! I’ve heard really good things about The Wrath and the Dawn and the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy. Happy reading. 🙂

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:30 pm

I just finished The Wrath and The Dawn. It was good! Not really my style, but it was super entertaining and I ended up loving the main character. Check it out!

4. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) May 18, 2017 / 11:37 am

Oh gosh. So many of these books are on my TBR as well. I love the cover to The Sisters and Brothers and put it on my TBR after Erin reviewed it sometime last year. The Wrath of the Dawn, Three Dark Crowns and Scarlett are also on my TBR. Too many great books and too little time! I fully expected to love Throne of Glass but found it rather meh so I’ve been hesitant to read any of Maas’ other books.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:33 pm

Hmm… I’m bummed to hear about your Maas books review 😦 Maybe I’ll start with the other series.
      I feel like a few of these have really beautiful or intriguing covers!

5. StephTheBookworm May 18, 2017 / 12:06 pm

I haven’t read any of these yet but a few are on my list! I also loved the Mindy book I read, so Amy’s is definitely on my radar! Also, apparently I am on a first name basis with celebs… hahaha.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Hahaha, me too 🙂 I figure everyone knows who I’m talking about. I’m pretty much bffs with all those ladies 😉

6. Rebecca Jo May 18, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I loved Amy Poehler’s book!!!! Her & Tina Fey are just perfection to me.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:35 pm

It’s next up on my list! 😀

7. Amanda Bumgarner May 18, 2017 / 12:28 pm

I haven’t heard of any of these! I’ve heard a lot of people like Yes, Please. Looks like a good summer of reading ahead for you!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Thanks, Amanda! Half of these are sitting on my dining room table, waiting to be read. Lol

8. Julie Hood May 18, 2017 / 1:03 pm

I was JUST talking to someone about Yes Please and they said they listened to the audiobook and Amy Poehler reads it herself. It’s definitely on my list too bc Leslie Knope is my girl crush 😉

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 1:46 pm

If I didn’t already own the book I’d probably pick to listen to it. That’s my future plan with Jim Gaffigan’s books!

9. Nadine May 18, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I really enjoyed Yes, Please. I did it on audio and it was awesome hearing her read the book herself. Haven’t heard of most of the rest of these so I will have to check them out!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:16 pm

If I didn’t already own it, I would listen to it 🙂 That’s my plan for future autobiographies!

10. Carly May 18, 2017 / 2:15 pm

I really want to read that Hygge book too, which I say anytime I see someone talk about it, but never look into actually getting a copy of it, haha. The Wrath and the Dawn was sooo good- so far outside of my usual reading preferences, but I loved the writing and the story so much!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:18 pm

I do the same thing with the Hygge book. And I’m still considering putting it off until the weather gets cool. Haha! I just finished The Wrath and The Dawn and I can’t decide how I feel about it… ha.

11. Laura May 18, 2017 / 2:35 pm

Yes Please is on my list too! I’ve heard really good things about it.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:19 pm

It’s been on my list forever! Hopefully I’ll get to it this summer 🙂

12. Robyn Black May 18, 2017 / 3:02 pm

i have “yes please” on my reading list too! (problem is i have like 38,675 books on my list with it haha) i just got Bossypants from a thrift store & was super excited (i know i’m wayyyy behind the times!)
    have you enjoyed the selection series? i love finding book series b/c i get super invested and never want the story to end!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:29 pm

I loved Bossy Pants 🙂 I wish Tina was my spirit animal (but I feel like she’s too cool for me, hahaha!).
      I kind of hate-read The Selection. Hahahahaha. I don’t like love triangles and that’s all it’s been. But they’re quick to read and I’m hopeful the last two books will be a little different since the story line is changing.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:30 pm

It really wasn’t my kind of book and I groaned every time I picked it up… but I don’t know why! It kept me entertained, I loved Shahrzad, and the characters were well throughout. I’m on the fence about it for sure…

13. Heidi May 18, 2017 / 5:18 pm

This looks like a great summer list! I liked Yes Please better than Tina and Mindy’s books, even though they all have a great sense of humor.

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Ooooh, that makes me look forward to it even more! I looooved Tina’s book. I wonder if I should watch more Parks and Rec before I read Amy’s…

14. Elyse May 19, 2017 / 9:25 am

The first thing I noticed was how PRETTY all these book covers are. I’ve read Yes Please and it wasn’t my thing, I think I’m just not a person who enjoys reading books written by comedians? I’m sure you’ll like it, since I’m definitely in the minority!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:40 pm

I loved Tina’s book so I’m hoping I love Amy’s 🙂
      You’re right, they’re all really pretty covers! I hadn’t noticed that until I read your comment 🙂

15. Jess May 20, 2017 / 3:03 pm

I haven’t read ANY of those yet and they all look really good. I think I started The Selection series ages ago but I’d have to restart, it’s been so long. Scarlet looks interesting. Hygge I definitely want to check out – I think it’s been on my list a while. I’m checking out all the others, too!

• Louise May 23, 2017 / 2:41 pm

I finished The Wrath and The Dawn this week so I’m starting on The Heir now. Maybe Yes Please and Scarlet next. I can’t decide if I want to put off the Hygge book until fall or winter… lol.