A Christmas Movie List

I was typing out the Freeform 25 Days of Christmas movie list as I obsessively do every year and I thought to myself, ‘I should make an ultimate Christmas movie list for my blog!’

This isn’t an official challenge and you don’t need to keep track or put any pressure on yourself to finish (or even start!) this list, but I thought it’d be fun. I’ll probably report my progress some time at the end of the month. (And if you watched some of these in November it totally counts. I would never restrict Christmas cheer to December!)

Feel free to play along if you want to!

Claymations:
A Year Without a Santa Claus (AV) (F)
Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town (F)
Jack Frost (F)
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (F)
Rudolph’s Shiny New Year (F)

Animated/Kids:
The Nightmare Before Christmas (N) (F)
The Polar Express (AV) (F)
The Muppet Christmas Carol (HBO go)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (AV) (ABC go)
Mickey’s Christmas Carol (F)
Arthur Christmas (F)

The Classics
White Christmas (N)
It’s A Wonderful Life (AV)
Miracle on 34th Street (AV)
Holiday Inn
The Bishop’s Wife

The Contemporary Classics
Love Actually (N)
The Family Stone
The Holiday (N) (AV)
Jingle All the Way
Serendipity (N)
Trading Places

The Overly Played:
A Christmas Story (AV)
The Santa Clause [bonus points for each sequel watched] (N) (F)
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation [uncensored, of course] (F -censored)
Home Alone (HBO go)
Elf (AV) (F)

Half-Hour Specials:
The Bells of Fraggle Rock
The Little Drummer Boy
Mickey’s Christmas Carol (F)
‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas [animated]

BONUS: Weird Animated Movies From Our Past That We Barely Remember:
Babes in Toyland
The Nutcracker Prince
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

Edit… [Find it on: (H) hulu, (N) netflix, (AV) amazon video, (F) freeform]
Some of these might not be free. And some might be incorrect. Hey, I tried.

While I didn’t include Die Hard, it can be found on Amazon Video πŸ˜‰

I know I’m missing a million movies. What are some of your favorites?

37 thoughts on “A Christmas Movie List

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 9:28 am

I never respond to comments on my posts out of order but I feel like I need to address this, lol. I promise that I originally had a category called “Not Really Christmas-y Christmas Movies” and Die Hard was on it. Hahaha. But it didn’t fit on my graphic and it got cut. Sorry!!!

1. chelseajacobs November 28, 2017 / 8:52 am

This gives me ALL THE HAPPY FEELS. Christmas movies are truly my favorite, cheesy and all!

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 9:30 am

I think the list is a helpful reminder when the only thing playing on Freeform is The Santa Clause. Lol!

2. Stephanie November 28, 2017 / 9:10 am

I came to say exactly what Kathy says. DIE HARD FOREVER

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 9:29 am

Okayyyyyy, like I just said to Kathy… I originally had a category called β€œNot Really Christmas-y Christmas Movies” and Die Hard was on it. It didn’t fit on my graphic and it got cut. Sorry, ladies!!! Lol!
      And I’ve never seen Die Hard, haha, so I don’t have an argument for or against it. Lol

3. Elyse November 28, 2017 / 10:16 am

This is a great list! I haven’t seen a few of these. You forgot my two favourite ones though – Muppet Family Christmas and Muppet Christmas Carol! My hubby and I are going to watch 12 Christmas movies in anticipation of Christmas so this will help us think of some that we don’t always watch.

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 10:24 am

Thank you! Muppet Christmas Carol is up there (under ANIMATED/KIDS) but I didn’t include Muppet Family Christmas- whoops!! I looove the muppets πŸ™‚ Your 12 movies with your husband sounds so fun! I can usually only get K to watch a handful- although Polar Express is a staple in our house!

4. Nadine November 28, 2017 / 10:40 am

Hahahahaaha Kathy!!! My most watch every year include Elf, Home Alone, Family Stone, The Holiday and both the animated Grinch and the one with Jim Carey. I already have Zoe addicted to that one. She is obsessed! Chris loves Bad Santa, so we have to watch that several times too.

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 10:47 am

Oh. my. gosh. I HATE Elf. Hahahaha! We just had this debate at Thanksgiving with my family! Lol. I know I’m soooo alone in that opinion. Ha! The Family Stone, the animated Grinch, and all the Claymations will forever be my favorites. K loves The Polar Express- which is so funny to me!

5. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue November 28, 2017 / 10:43 am

Most of my favorites are in the “contemporary classics” section – The Family Stone is my very favorite but I also love The Holiday and Love Actually. Trading Places was a family tradition when I was growing up but I haven’t seen it in years! And Elf – A must watch! Swede likes the Grinch & Charlie Brown & Polar Express. I like White Christmas but I haven’t ever seen any of the other classic ones. And I know this is an unpopular opinion but I HATE Christmas Vacation!

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 10:49 am

I have never seen Christmas Vacation… ha! I’ll give you my opinion when/if I watch it this year. Also- brace yourself- I’ve never seen It’s A Wonderful Life! I love The Family Stone and K loooooves Trading Places. We’ve already watched it once this year. Ha. He also really likes The Polar Express. It’s become a tradition for us to watch it together πŸ™‚

6. Tanya November 28, 2017 / 11:16 am

I love watching the animated classics from my childhood, like Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, Grinch. I love Elf, Love Actually and Home Alone. To be completely honest, I actually like Home Alone 2 better but can no longer watch it because the Dotard of Covfefe is in it and makes me scream like Kevin. I’ve only started to watch the real classics, like White Christmas and love them. I’m down with Die Hard being a Christmas movie, but I don’t understand why Freeform considers Harry Potter movies and The Incredibles to be Christmas movies. Yes, some of the HP movies have a Christmas scene but they are not Christmas movies and I say that as a diehard HP fan!

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 12:05 pm

I totally don’t understand how the HP or Pixar movies are considered holidays. I think it’s Freeforms way of playing movies they already own the rights to without shelling out any money πŸ˜‰ It irritates me when they play HP for Halloween, too. Yes, there are wizards and witches, but it’s NOT Halloween. Lol
      The Home Alone movies make me crazy. They annoy me. Hahaha!

7. Lindsay November 28, 2017 / 11:18 am

Okay but the question is where can I find all of these gems?! Are they all streaming, or…?

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 12:00 pm

Oooooooookay, lady πŸ˜› I updated it to include some channels and/or streaming platforms πŸ˜‰ Lol
      Calling me out on my laziness. Hahahaha!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:02 am

Me too! Hopefully I squeeze in some Hallmark ones this year so I can recommend some of those πŸ™‚ Ha.

8. Lauren Becker November 28, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Oh, I love Christmas movies. I was just making a list earlier today with some that I want to try and find because I don’t think I’ve seen them or it’s been awhile! Thanks for this!!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:03 am

I haven’t seen all of these, but I’m hoping to watch those ones and check them off this year πŸ™‚

9. SMD November 28, 2017 / 4:41 pm

I appreciate your categorizations and keys!

MFD is into Christmas movies. I only like the sort of not-Christmasy Christmas movies like Bad Santa, etc. Oh, I do like Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story also.

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:04 am

It was a last minute add on so I’m not 100% on the accuracy. Lol. But thanks!
      K doesn’t really like any Christmas movies. He enjoys The Grinch and The Polar Express, but my favorites are the claymations that I watched with my dad as a kid. It’s like pulling teeth getting K to watch them. Lol

10. Jana @ Jana Says November 28, 2017 / 6:29 pm

Emmitt Otter’s Jugband Christmas is missing. Just sayin’…

But you do have the Muppets (twice) so that kind of makes up for it. Hooray for the Muppets!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:05 am

I have never in my life heard of that movie, but now I have to go look for it. Lol

11. Rebecca Jo November 28, 2017 / 9:23 pm

This is a perfect reference!!!
    Fraggle Rock. What a memory.
    There’s an OLDDDDD one that was something about otters & a jug band… I used to love that one. I need to try & find it.

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:06 am

Jana just mentioned it! Emmitt Otter’s Jugband Christmas? I’ve never ever ever heard of it. Now I’m going to go see what the fuss is about, though πŸ˜‰

12. Julie Hood November 29, 2017 / 3:10 pm

OMG. AUDREY. I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED WRITING A CHRISTMAS MOVIE POST AND THEN I SAW THIS!!! Great minds. You know the rest. πŸ˜‰

It’s so fun to see which movies from my own list made it onto yours, too!! I’ve never seen the Bishop’s Wife–is it good? I saw it on a bunch of other movie lists but couldn’t decide if it was worth watching (but I value your opinion, duh, which is why I’m asking you πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:09 am

Great minds, for sure!! πŸ˜€ Haha! If I’ve seen The Bishop’s Wife it’s been a long, long time. Admittedly, I haven’t seen all these film. I’m planning to see the ones that I haven’t yet, though!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:11 am

Thanks so much, Steph πŸ™‚

13. Carolann November 29, 2017 / 4:00 pm

I will be referncing this list! There are so many I haven’t seen! I just watch the same few movies every year – Elf, Charlie Brown, The Grinch!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:11 am

I do the same thing! I was hoping the list inspired ME to branch out a little πŸ˜‰ Especially in the “classics” category. I always end up loving those movies!

14. chelsea @ the new wifestyle November 29, 2017 / 10:51 pm

‘the bell of fraggle rock’ how did i have NO idea this was a thing?! i am just about to get into the christmas spirit so this list is helpful. hopefully by next christmas atlas will sit still long enough to watch more than 3.5 minutes of a movie with me!

• Louise November 30, 2017 / 8:26 am

Hopefully you can watch some of these during naptime or after bedtime πŸ˜‰ Enjoy the anti-movie watching while you can… When my cousin was 3 she became obsessed with The Wiggles Christmas and I swear to Moses we watched that 593 times one year. I wanted to stick my finger in the Christmas tree lights. Hahahaha.

15. Christina December 10, 2017 / 7:22 pm

I think you got all my favorites, including Babes in Toyland!! No one ever knows what I’m talking about when I quote that movie. My siblings and I watched it all the time as kids! I bought the DVD a few years ago and think I need to watch it ASAP.

• Louise December 12, 2017 / 8:32 am

I honestly wondered if I was the only person who’d ever watched that movie! No one has heard of it when I bring it up! I have distinct memories of watching it, though! Lol

16. The Thrifty Campers December 31, 2017 / 10:42 am

You have brought to mind some favorites of mine that I had completely forgotten about such as Serendipity and Jack Frost❀️