What I Read… vol. 11

I participate in Erin’s Book Challenges & when I first started doing it I was barely making time to read for pleasure. In high school I devoured books, but then college happened and I felt guilty reading anything that wasn’t for a class. My habit of pleasure reading went into hibernation. Thanks to Erin, I’ve been slowly but surely reading more and more over the last few years. I’m no 12-books-a-month kind of reader, but hitting 3 in a month makes me feel good. All that to say, I didn’t finish the challenge this time around, but I’m enjoying books and reading for pleasure and I don’t mind that I gave up on the challenge. I plan to complete her challenge in its entirety soon, but moving houses and summertime stress just didn’t allow for that this time. Thank you for being an amazing, wonderful, gracious host, Erin!!

Also, happy birthday to my dad!

What_I_Read_blog

And now I’m linking up with Steph & Jana for Show Us Your Books!! (Happy Anniversary last month, ladies! Sorry I forgot to say anything!)

On to the books. My rockin’ husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday so you’ll hopefully see some NetGalley books around these parts! For now, it was a pretty slow reading month.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie | ★★★/5
Summary: When the wealthy Emily Inglethorp is murdered in her own bed, surrounded by family and staff, Hercule Poirot is on the case to solve who dun it. | Why I Read It: I’ve found that I really enjoy Christie’s writing and I plan to make my way through the Hercule Poirot series. | What I Thought: While Hastings drove me right up a tree (he was such a naive, over confident, horny creep IMO), I loved Poirot. He was an absurd little character, but the mystery made sense to me once it was all explained. And I never even came close to guessing the outcome.
You should read it because… you enjoy a classic mystery with a twisty twist and quirky characters. No thriller mystery here.

DNF: West with the Night by Beryl Markham
I might come back to this book someday, but I wasn’t feel it from the time I picked it up. Good stories, but not a pace I enjoyed (for now).

Erin’s Challenge ended Oct. 31st at 11:59pm…

|5 points| Freebie: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
|10 points| Starts w/ “B”: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
|10 points| Yellow cover: Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
|15 points| An animal on the cover: Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
|20 points| Published in 2017: The Essence of Malice by Ashley Weaver
|20 points| Compass/cardinal direction in title: West With the Night by Beryl Markham
|25 points| A most commonly banned book in America: The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
|30 points| About mental illness: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
|30 points| Non-human main character: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
|35 points| A Disney movie /book/ based on a Disney movie: The Moonspinners by Mary Stewart

I ended with 135 points. I can’t wait for the winter challenge!

What did you read this month?

Life According to Steph

44 thoughts on “What I Read… vol. 11

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:32 pm

They really do! I’ve read a bunch of books over the last few years that I wouldn’t have thought of without these challenges!

1. Kristen from Pugs & Pearls November 14, 2017 / 7:11 am

I think a challenge is a great way to read!
    I haven’t ever read an Agatha Christie book, but I have renewed interest after seeing the preview for the Murder on the Orient Express movie!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:33 pm

The challenges give me the motivation I need 🙂
      A friend recommended Christie’s “And Then There Were None” and I loved it so now I’m working my way through the Poirot series.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Thank you! I started strong… lol

2. Laura November 14, 2017 / 9:00 am

Happy birthday to your dad! I was at my mom and dad’s house last weekend and they had a huge box of Agatha Christie books in the basement. I took it home with me, obviously. I’m going to see if that one is in there, and start with it!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:34 pm

That’s awesome! I’d have been so excited over that discovery! This was my second Christie book and so far I’m still a fan 🙂

3. Brittany Pines November 14, 2017 / 9:23 am

I didn’t finish my Disney books, but I enjoyed almost everything else so I’m happy with my challenge results! Looks like you did great too.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:38 pm

The last challenge I came up one book short. This time it was three. Oh well. Lol. I never got into my Disney one either.

4. Carly @ Carly Blogs Here November 14, 2017 / 9:34 am

It’s the best when you can start reading for pleasure again, and you did an awesome job with Erin’s challenge! I haven’t read anything Agatha Christie since I was in school but would like to read something soon.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:39 pm

Thanks, Carly! Fall was just such a busy time for me! I hope I get some good books read over the winter and early spring 🙂 I’ve been enjoying her books so far!

5. Nadine November 14, 2017 / 10:14 am

It took me awhile to get back into books for pleasure after college, but I haven’t looked back since! I haven’t read any Agatha Christie books but I think I need to start!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:40 pm

I’m such a lover of the classic mystery (but not thrillers). Clue is my favorite movie so I think it makes sense that I’m into Christie’s novels 🙂

6. Lauren Becker November 14, 2017 / 10:37 am

I really love Christie and I want to read more of her, especially her Poirot novels. He’s a great character!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:40 pm

A friend first recommended “And Then There Were None” and I was immediately hooked 🙂 The new Murder on the Orient Express is what sparked my Poirot direction.

7. Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue November 14, 2017 / 11:17 am

I think Beryl Markham is a really neat person but West with the Night is so slow! I did make a quote from it my manta in my 20s: “Every tomorrow ought not look like every yesterday”. Did you read Circling the Sun too? I thought that one was a more enjoyable read about her life.
    I like some Agatha Christie but Poirot has never been my favorite. Although I do want to see the new Orient Express!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:44 pm

I’d like to get through ‘West with the Night’ some day but doing it for a challenge was a bad idea. I’m currently working on ‘Circling the Sun’!
      I hated the Hastings character. Hopefully he’s not around in the other books? I don’t know.

8. SMD November 14, 2017 / 11:26 am

Happy birthday to your dad.
    I’ve read three Agatha Christies, and I’m not sure if I’ll read more.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:45 pm

Thanks!
      I’ve read two now. We’ll see how the Hercule Poirot ones progress… So far, so good.

9. Rebecca Jo November 14, 2017 / 12:36 pm

YIPEE for a new Kindle!!! Which one did you get?
    Happy Birthday to your daddy!!!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I got the Paperwhite and I loooooove it!

10. Elizabeth Adams November 14, 2017 / 12:47 pm

I haven’t heard of that one by Agatha Christie — I love mysteries more than any other genre, but I just haven’t gotten to any of her books yet. Happy birthday to your dad!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Clue is one of my favorite movies and mystery (but not thrillers) is one of my favorite genres. Christie’s books are a little dated (which makes sense) but I’ve enjoyed them and breezed through the two that I’ve read.
      Thank you!

11. Jana @ Jana Says November 14, 2017 / 12:52 pm

For as much as I love a good thriller or murder mystery, I’ve never read an Agatha Christie.
    Happy birthday to your dad and congrats on the new Kindle! I’m eyeing one as a Christmas present to myself.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Her books are slower than modern day thrillers, but I like that Clue-type pace. I enjoyed “And Then There Were None” more than this one but they were both good.
      I dropped as many hint as possible to K before my b-day. If he hadn’t come through I was going to treat myself on cyber Monday 😉

12. kristen November 14, 2017 / 2:15 pm

i didn’t finish erin’s challenge, but i think it’s fantastic you are reading for pleasure, that’s what matters 🙂 i’ve never read an agatha christie book, maybe one day. my nana is a huge fan lol

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:49 pm

I always lose steam at the end of the challenge. Ha.
      I can’t believe it took me so long to get into Agatha Christie. Her pace and genre are perfect for me 🙂

13. A Mindful Migration (@MindfulMigrate) November 14, 2017 / 2:25 pm

Happy birthday to your Dad. And yay for new kindles! I love mine! I have never read an Agatha Christie novel which is kind of weird given my love for mysteries. I also did not finish Erin’s Challenge. My book slump hit me hard and none of my choices appealed to me any longer. Oh well. Life goes on. 😀

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Yep. I lost steam by the end, but I’m not too shaken up over it 😉
      I loooove the freedom of the Kindle. I can read when I can’t sleep & stay in bed without waking K or the dogs!

14. StephTheBookworm November 14, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Glad you’ve been able to get back into reading for fun in the last few years. I can’t imagine what I’d do without reading and books!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:55 pm

College totally crushed my reading-for-pleasure habit. I could cruise through books in high school. Hopefully some day I’m back up to speed 😉

15. Ana November 14, 2017 / 4:57 pm

This one sounds interesting, I haven’t read anything by Agatha Christie before.

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I started with ‘And Then There Were None’ and really really enjoyed it. This is the first in the Hercule Poirot series.

16. Kristin Darhower November 14, 2017 / 8:12 pm

I was never quite interested enough in Circling the Sun, much less the non-fiction version by Beryl Markham. Oh well.
    I’m interested in trying out some Agatha Christie though!

• Louise November 15, 2017 / 3:57 pm

I’m currently working my way through ‘Circling the Sun.’ I think I kind of burnt myself out by trying to tackle the books simultaneously. Hopefully I finish this one up soon and enjoy it.
      Christie novels are slower than modern day thrillers but I really love them. ‘And Then There Were None’ is a great one to start with!

• Louise November 20, 2017 / 10:32 am

I’m really enjoy her books!

17. Elyse November 20, 2017 / 9:24 am

You always do so great with this challenge! I’ve never read anything by Agatha Christie, she intimidates me! haha I might try one eventually though!

• Louise November 20, 2017 / 10:33 am

Ha- I still have yet to finish one, though!
      For being written in the 20s/30s, Agatha Christie books are SO easy to get through! I always forget how old the books really are!

18. Alexandra Consolver November 20, 2017 / 10:31 am

Challenges got me back into reading as well! 🙂 So fun. I didn’t finish Erin’s challenge either, but that’s ok. I agree that it gets me reading and talking about books, which is a plus! 🙂 I would love to read more Agatha Christie. I’ve only read Murder on the Orient Express. 🙂 Xo – Alexandra

• Louise November 20, 2017 / 10:34 am

Yes!! As long as I’m still picking up books and reading, I feel like I’m doing well 🙂
      I’m trying to work my way up to Murder on the Orient Express! It’s #10 in the Poirot series so I’m trying to read my way up to it, lol.

19. ppanda65photos November 20, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I love Erin’s Challenges too! I read And Then There Were None this year and hope to read a few more Agatha Christie’s in 2018 Pam 🙂

• Louise November 28, 2017 / 9:40 am

I’m glad you enjoyed And Then There Were None!! It definitely got me hooked on Agatha Christie! I’m so grateful that my friend recommended it! 😀