Unconventional Halloween Movies

It’s no secret that I am not a fan of horror or violent films. I don’t mind creepy or sinister, but seeing people mutilate and harm other people isn’t my cup of tea. But I freakin’ LOVE Halloween. I love fake blood on the bathroom mirror, skulls on the mantel, bottles of ogre teeth and witches brew on the bar cart. LOVE. IT.

And I love watching films that put me in that spooky mood, even if they’re not traditionally Halloween movies. (Some of these are, though. I’ve written about my favorite Halloween movie before here.) This is the unconventional list that I’m planning to tackle this year!

Beetlejuice is one of my favorite films of all time. I’ll watch it all year long. | Every year around my birthday I watch the film Clue. I don’t know why I started this little tradition, but I did and I love doing it 🙂 | I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Rocky Horror Picture Show all the way through but it’s one of my mom’s favorite films. This year I plan to watch the whole thing. | I watched The Haunted Mansion a looong time ago- probably when it first came out. I love that it reminds me of the ride at Disney World! | Sleepy Hollow is such a strange film. It’s definitely not my favorite on the list but it’s spooky without being too gory. | Admittedly, Hocus Pocus isn’t my favorite Halloween movie (gasp), but I know it’s a classic and I still watch it almost every year. | I know Coraline is a kids movie but it freaks. me. out. Perfect for Halloween time. | I’ve never seen The Monster Squad but it looked cheesy and classic so I added it to the list.

I added some not-so-spooky but still fall-flavored films, too. Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of my all time favorite films ever in the history of me. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it. It has nothing to do with Halloween and it’s the most adorable, quirky, witty movie ever. | The Blind Side is one of those movies that sucks me in every. single. time. I always laugh and cry and worry like I’m watching it for the first time. | Last but certainly not least, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is a classic and deserves to be watched every single year 🙂

**You can find The Monster Squad on Hulu & Coraline on Netflix. There are also a bunch of cute monster/Halloween kids movies on Netflix, too.

What movies are you planning to watch this fall?

28 thoughts on “Unconventional Halloween Movies

1. thepunktheory September 27, 2018 / 3:28 am

You listed some of my all-time favorite films 😀 I hope you’ll enjoy them!

2. my30somethingadventures.wordpress.com/ September 27, 2018 / 5:57 am

I watched the Rocky Horror Picture show musical a few years ago and it was amazing! I enjoyed the movie too.
    Great list – I’m also not keen on anything super gory – I like a good suspense or thriller.

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:41 pm

I’ve seen large chunks of RHPS but I’ve never watched it all the way through. Changing that this year!

3. Confuzzled Bev September 27, 2018 / 8:41 am

I LOVE CLUE! It’s one of my all-time favourite films. So hilarious! If you haven’t already you should watch Murder by Death… kind of a similar thing.

I want to watch Death Becomes Her again… it’s been years since I’ve seen it and I feel like it’s a fitting film for around Halloween.

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Me too!! I will definitely check out Murder by Death. My sister in law recommended a series to me, too, after reading this list 🙂 I’ve never seen Death Becomes Her either!

4. Stephanie September 27, 2018 / 8:45 am

Hocus Pocus is my favorite, so I watch that at least once every year. Also Harry Potter. But we love the scary movies too so we watch all the Halloweens.

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:43 pm

I love watching HP in the fall and around Christmastime. It’s funny how some of them feel more Halloween-y or Christmas-y than other.

5. Kay R. September 27, 2018 / 8:55 am

I haven’t watched Beetlejuice in YEARSSSSS. Thanks for giving me the idea to watch it again. I loved it as a kid!

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:47 pm

It’s such a good movie!!! I quote it all the time!

6. Rebecca Jo September 27, 2018 / 9:00 am

These are all so fun! I love them all!!!!
    There’s always that corny Teen Witch movie too with the corny 80’s songs. haha

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:49 pm

You’re so right!! Those 80s songs always get stuck in my head for days and days!

7. Emily of Em Busy Living September 27, 2018 / 10:18 am

These are my kind of Halloween movies too! I get the itch to watch Rocky Horror around this time every year. I can do without the actual horror in horror movies.

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:51 pm

My husband HATES spooky things (which is funny because he’s married to a Halloween-addict) and I don’t watch gory or horror. These are the perfect films for us for fall 🙂

8. ShootingStarsMag September 27, 2018 / 10:30 am

I don’t really like movies that are too gory either, but all of these sound like winners. I’d love to watch Clue – it’s been a few years now. I totally recommend Rocky Horror Picture Show; it’s so kooky but I LOVE it. I do like Hocus Pocus, but I don’t know that it’s my favorite Halloween movie either – granted, I don’t know that I HAVE a favorite Halloween movie. haha And kid’s movies are great this time of the year – Charlie Brown, Coraline (which I still need to see!), etc. There’s a movie version of Picture of Dorian Gray just called Dorian Gray and I watched that last year in October – it’s a good one (it stars Colin Firth, etc.)

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:54 pm

I’ll have to check out the Dorian Gray movie. Kids movies are so fun around the holidays 🙂

9. Michael September 27, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Rocky Horror is one of my absolute favorite movies. I watch it often. Monster Squad is another great one.

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:54 pm

I’m excited to watch both of those! I’ve seen bits of RHPS but nothing about Monster Squad!

10. Ashley September 28, 2018 / 1:26 pm

It’s starting to become a tradition for us to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show during Halloween, and I love it! It’s just so fun and I love the music! We also have to watch Hocus Pocus every year!

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:57 pm

I love that! Sometimes K watches Clue with me and sometimes he doesn’t. He’s less into the spooky movies… Hahaha. We usually watch a little bit of Beetlejuice together, though 🙂

11. Nadine September 28, 2018 / 3:08 pm

Hocus Pocus is my favorite Halloween movie ever, how is it not yours???? LOL. But I do love Beetlejuice and Charlie Brown!

• Audrey September 30, 2018 / 2:58 pm

I’m not sure why I dislike it! I mean, it’s *ok*, but I’m definitely not a Hocus Pocus lover like so many people our age. Lol
      Beetlejuice, though…. Yes!

12. Emelia Lawrence October 1, 2018 / 8:21 am

I LOVE The Blind Side, and also always cry. It’s so so good. Hocus Pocus is a fave and omg YES to Charlie Brown 🙂 Good list girlfriend! I’ve already started watching Home Alone hahahah one of my faves.

• Audrey October 5, 2018 / 3:05 pm

I always cry (multiple times) when I watch The Blind Side. But it always sucks me in!! I love that you’ve already started watching Home Alone!

13. chelsea @ the new wifestyle October 10, 2018 / 3:57 pm

i totally need to watch beetlejuice again! i haven’t seen that movie in a long time. i also love watching ‘practical magic’ this time of year too!

• Audrey October 12, 2018 / 8:38 am

I haven’t seen Practical Magic all the way through but maybe I’ll change that this year… I LOVE Beetlejuice. There’s just something spooky and quirky yet heartwarming about it 🙂