The Roaring Swinging Fabulous Groovy Blog Collaboration | The 2000s

Ok. How the heck are we at “2000s”? I swear we just kicked this thing off with 1900s/1910s. So crazy how fast this year went in Blogland. Don’t forget– next month we’re hosting a LINK-UP for any and all period dramas, historical/fiction books, and historical movies that you want to review or share!! That will be Tuesday, December 4th!

(Check out Alexandra’s post today, too!)

And now on to the sweet 2000s.

On the first Tuesday of the month, February through November, we’re highlighting books & films from/about specific eras that we recommend! (Television shows, too, sometimes!) There’s no commitment or link-up during those months on your end, but in December we’ll host a recap/link-up for the entire year!

I thought it was hard to find books set in the 2000s.

B O O K S

One of my all time favorite books is The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein). The reader is introduced to Enzo and his family- and Enzo is a dog. It is one of the most beautiful, heart-wrenching, real books I’ve ever read. And of course I loved it because Enzo is named after the same person/car that my Enzo is named after 🙂

I have no idea why, but The Royal We (Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan) is one of those stories that has stuck with me. I already loved the royals (whom this book is not-so-loosely based on), but something about the personalities and hardships of each character in this book really stuck with me. It’s kind of long, but I enjoyed all the drama and romance and parallels.

M O V I E S

(2001) It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Save the Last Dance but I loved this movie when I was a teenager. Julia Stiles is such an underrated actress and the whole love story between her and Sean Patrick Thomas’ character is beautiful.

(2001) Does anyone NOT love The Princess Diaries (and also, has anyone not seen The Princess Diaries?!)? I love this adorable movie and the star power this one packs is insane. Julie Andrews, Anne Hathaway, Heather Matarazzo, Mandy Moore, Sandra Oh… And Brink.

(2001, 2004, 2007) My love for the Ocean’s movies knows no bounds (including Ocean’s 8!!). I’ll admit that, as far as the male cast movies go, 11 is my favorite with 13 being a close second. I’m crossing my fingers that we get a 9 and 10 (with the ladies!) because this franchise is the best.

(2004) My favorite Pixar movie is The Incredibles. I love the story and the musical score and each character. Violet and Dash’s relationship is my favorite. I haven’t seen The Incredibles 2 yet but I need to!

(2006) It’s no surprise that Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby shows up on my list. We probably watch it every time it’s on TV and we definitely quote it daily. Damn- it’s just so funny and good and quotable. Especially for a NASCAR lover.

*dates indicate both when the movie was released AND when I think it was set

B O N U S

I mentioned The West Wing in our 90s post but most of it takes place in the 2000s. Seriously guys, if you haven’t watch it yet, DO IT.

Has everyone already seen The Office? It’s hysterical and awkward (and mildly not PC). Easy to binge, easy to follow, good mindless television.

On Deck…

Middle school/high school (without Hulu or Netflix) made me miss a lot of good shows. I’d love to watch:

• Veronica Mars
  • Friday Night Lights
  • 30 Rock

Be sure to hope over to Alexandra’s blog and check out her recommendations!

Next month we are linking up & we want you to join us!

Did you watch or read any of our suggestions from year? Maybe you thought of your own recommendations and you’ve been waiting for the right time to share them! Perhaps you just *happened* to read a book from the 1950s and you want to review it!

There’s no right or wrong way to link-up with us! Just do it! We will see you December 4th for our final Roaring Swinging Fabulous Groovy Blog Collaboration post!! Join us, won’t you?

Check out our past posts from this series: 19101920193019401950, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990

13 thoughts on “The Roaring Swinging Fabulous Groovy Blog Collaboration | The 2000s

1. Confuzzled Bev November 6, 2018 / 3:50 am

I’ve never seen The Princess Diaries, but I’ve read the book.

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:37 am

I forgot that I’d read the books, too! I loved them! You should watch the movies some time. At least the first one 🙂

2. Rebecca Jo November 6, 2018 / 9:22 am

Some of those movies are STILLLL my favorite – looking at you Ricky Bobby.
    & same with Royal We – that book just totally had me hook, line & sinker!

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:38 am

Oh man… Talladega Nights is like our entire family’s favorite. And Kyle and I quote it all day long. Haha! The Royal We was just SO good!

3. Lauren Becker November 6, 2018 / 12:30 pm

I love The Princess Diaries. I read MOST of the books too growing up. I’m also a big fan of Save the Last Dance. I really need to buy that DVD. Bring It On was the 2000s too right? Love that movie. Too fun!

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:38 am

I forgot that The Princess Diaries were books, too! I think I read the first three or four. I’m not sure how many there were! I loved those, too!

4. Tanya November 6, 2018 / 12:32 pm

Ricky Bobby! Initially the movie didn’t appeal to me until one of my friend’s basically forced me to watch it and it is hilarious. I say Sweet Baby Jesus at least once a day! Ocean 11 and 13 were my favorites too, 12 was only okay. I still haven’t seen 8 yet. I love Princess Diaries!

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:40 am

Talladega Nights is so so so stupid but it’s honestly a very good parody of the racing fandom. Hahahaha! And it’s too freaking quotable! 11 is definitely the best of the male movies. Girl! Go see Ocean’s 8!

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:41 am

I think Veronica Mars might be one I can get K to watch with me. We’re in need of a new binge-series. I’ll have to turn it on one night and check it out!

5. Kristen from Pugs & Pearls November 6, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Yay, the 2000s! The Royal We has been on my to read list for years, I think it’s time I actually read it! Your reviews are always on point!
    And yes, Princess Diaries is one of the best movies! I loved to book too when I was a kid.
    The Office is worth watching and rewatching many times over! It’s just so hysterical.

• Audrey November 7, 2018 / 9:46 am

Thanks, friend! I really loved The Royal We. It was like watching a movie or tv show about the royal family but you didn’t feel *quite* so creepy because there are some big differences between the book and the actual royal fam 🙂 It sucked you right in!

6. Emma @ Adventures of a London Kiwi November 13, 2018 / 5:21 pm

PRINCESS DIARIES!!! That is all.