What I Read…

Happy Tuesday! This is my first Show Us Your Books link-up of the year. It’s hard for me to prioritize reading right now but I’m trying! I’m including my picks for Erin’s 12.0 Book Challenge, too. It started at the beginning of the year. I will most definitely not be getting to all the books I selected, lol. Linking up with Steph & Jana!

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
★★★★/5; Mystery
I can’t decide if this is a 3 or 4 star book. I’m settling on 3.5 and rounding up. There were moments that I really loved. But then there were parts I kind of hated- mainly the very end. Sigh. The concept is amazing. Even the mystery was cool to follow. I got lost a few times but I always found my way back. I also solved two of the twists before their reveal, but there were countless twists so it didn’t spoil the story at all. My biggest beef is with the story outside of Blackheath. It seems unfinished and convenient and strange. That said, the author worked HARD to weave this story together and that deserves serious kudos. It’s a cleverly written book and a beautifully woven plot. I’m looking forward to his next book.
Read it? Yes, if you like a good twisty mystery. Keep in mind there’s a mystical element.

Baby/Kid Books:

M and I read together & she asked me to share our favorites each month. Only the favorites so you don’t waste your time 😉

Be Kind, Be Brave, Be You by Charlies M. Schulz, Elizabeth Dennis Barton, Scott Jeralds (illustrator)

A is for Awesome!: 23 Iconic Women Who Changed the World by Eva Chen, Derek Desierto (illustrator)
The amazing Steph bought this for M when I was pregnant! I love reading her this book. That said, I change the words “girl boss” to boss and “sheroes” to heroes. Also, we add “badass” to RBG’s description 😉

You’re My Little Sweet Pea by Kit Chase
This is such a cute read.

The Story of Rock by Nicola Edwards, Lindsey Sagar (illustrator)
This book cracks me up & I love that it’s a quick introduction to rock music. There’s a country, pop, and rap music one, too. We still need those 🙂

You can find M’s list of read books on Goodreads HERE.

And here are my selections for the Book Challenge by Erin 12.0

| 5 points | Freebie: Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
| 10 points | Starts with “I”: Impossible Dream by Gemma Jackson
| 10 points | Written by two+ authors: The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
| 15 points | A  picture of a tree on the cover: The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
| 20 points | One of the following words in the title: who, what, when, where, why: What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon
| 20 points | A book set in Africa: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
| 25 points | One of the words in the title: mother(s), sister(s), wife/wives, grandmother (or variation of), daughter(s), niece(s), aunt(s): Cleopatra’s Daughter by Michelle Moran
| 30 points| A book that has won an Edgar award: Long Way Down (Jason Reynolds)
| 30 points | A “locked room mystery”: The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (Stuart Turton)
| 35 points | A book from the 2018 Show Us Your Books favs: Little Fires Everywhere (Celeste Ng) – Kristen‘s list

I love the prompts for Erin’s challenge this round. Are you participating?

What have you read so far this year?

23 Comments Add yours

1. Ooh, I need to buy The Story of Rick for my friend’s son!

1. Rick? What? Who? Rock, obviously. My phone just hates me.

2. Audrey says:

Lol! 😀 It’s a super, super cute book!

2. Evelyn Hardcastle did feel a teeny bit unfinished for me when it came to the end, but the rest of the story was so smartly woven together that I didn’t mind? Ambiguity is okay if the book is complex, I think.
    It reminded me a lot of The Maze Runner (which I both kind of liked and absolutely hated at the same time).

1. Audrey says:

I think I was more willing to forgive the ending because of its intricacy, too. Still a great story… just not a stellar ending. Ha. Never read The Maze Runner but it doesn’t sound like my kind of book. Ha.

3. Love all of the kids books!

1. Audrey says:

Thanks! We love reading books together 🙂

4. Rebecca Jo Vincent says:

The story of Rock – I’ve bought that for a few baby shower gifts. There is a book about KISS too for babies about colors, I think. These are my go-to’s for gifts for Ricky’s coworkers baby showers. #ROCKERFOREVER

1. Audrey says:

Hahahaha! Those are perfect gifts! I was so tickled when I open the package with the rock story in it!

5. Sarah Elizabeth says:

I love M’s favorites this month! Please make this a monthly feature – so fun!

1. Audrey says:

Thank you! I will!

6. I love the baby book recommendations! My sister is due in June and my niece will have ALL THE BOOKS.

1. Audrey says:

Thank you! Making it a monthly thing, I think 🙂

7. I loved Evelyn Hardcastle and I was surprisingly okay with the ambiguity as typically I am not in a mystery/thriller. But to me the ambiguous ending worked with the idea around redemption and whether people can actually change.

1. Audrey says:

I don’t know… the book felt drawn out & the ending felt rushed. I just didn’t love the pace. I did love the complexity, though! Very well written and pieced together!

8. SMD says:

Ugh can people stop using girl boss! I’m surprised at that book including it. Rude. I do love that M’s reads are on here though, I hope that’s a thing from now on. I am always collecting kid book ideas to buy for my little people or the shore.

1. Audrey says:

I agree. But I love the book so I just overlook it and change it 😉 Haha! (Thank you!!!)
      I think M’s reads will definitely be a thing from now on.

9. Lauren Becker says:

Aw, I love that you’re sharing M’s books. I love kid’s books, and it gives me ideas. The Story of Rock sounds fantastic, and I’m a huge Peanuts fan.

Sorry you didn’t LOVE your book, but I’m glad it wasn’t too bad. Hopefully whatever you read next will be amazing.

Lauren

1. Audrey says:

She has some really, really cute books! (And some terrible ones- hahaha.)

Oh well. Hopefully the next book is better!

10. Julie Hood says:

Oh mannnnn I am loving these kids book titles. Tell Maddie I said thanks for having you share them 😉

1. Audrey says:

I will let her know! 😀 Haha!

11. Becki says:

You’ve made 7 1/2 Deaths sound like a very intriguing mystery. I hadn’t heard of the other challenge you talked about – I’ll need to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

1. Audrey says:

It was definitely intriguing! The story was genius. My only issues was the end but that’s just for me personally. Check it out!