The Best 80s Movies

It’s a very movie-themed week in Life as Louise-land.

You know the drill… I’ve already talked about the best 90s movies and the best 2000s movies. The 80s are a little different since I wasn’t alive, but I’m confident I’ve got some good ones. (Well… these are my favorites, at least.)

Clue (1985)
Surprised! (Ha..) Clue is one of my all time favorite movies. I love a cheesy good murder mystery and I love Tim Curry. This film is cute and funny and full of twists. Even if you’re not on the edge of your seat the entire time it’s still entertaining. Plus there are alternative endings!

movies_1

The Goonies (1985)
My aunt bought me this movie a long time ago and I thought it looked super dumb, but it’s actually kind of funny. I mean, it’s also kind of dumb. And it has that odd 80s humor… but it’s a classic! 😉

The Princess Bride (1987)
This is one of my mom’s favorite movies. I always rolled my eyes when she’d put it on, but it’s kind of a cult classic. I find myself quoting it often, though few people actually get it. Ha.

movies_2

Back to the Future (1985)
Personally, I’m not a fan of this movie; I think it’s dumb. I included this pick because I’m afraid my husband would draw up divorce papers if I didn’t mention at least one of the BttF movies. I guess I giggle at some of the jokes, but mostly I find them silly.

Trading Places (1983)
This is another movie that K introduced me to, but I actually find this one to be quite comical. It starts Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd, and Jamie Lee Curtis. I usually don’t like the predictable story line where everything’s perfect, then there’s a big issue with a goofy misunderstanding, and then it’s all resolved…. but this film does a pretty good job with all that. And I love that regardless of their situation or lifestlye the good people are good people and the bad people are bad people.

movies_3

Beetlejuice (1988)
I thought I could get through my list without mentioning this film, but I can’t. I love this movie. I’m really not a huge fan of Tim Burton (-all the emo kids from the 2000s gasp-) but I think this movie is awesome. It’s funny and a little spooky and filled with amazing people. (Geena Davis 4eva.)

Obviously Star Wars is a great (70s &) 80s trilogy. I also won’t discredit the Brat Pack movies, though I never really got into those films.

I know I’m missing some good ones, but my childhood was filled with overalls and fold-down socks, not bright spandex and crimped hair. (Yeah, I just stereotyped the 80s and 90s.) Help me out- what classic 80s films do/did you love?

46 thoughts on “The Best 80s Movies

1. bevchen July 15, 2016 / 3:22 am

Your first three would definitely have made my list. In fact. Clue and The Princess Bride are two films in my all-time top 5 favourites.

Others I would add: Some Kind of Wonderful, E.T., The Blues Brothers (1980 – so it juust sneaks in!), Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Beaches. Honourable mention to Little Shop of Horrors – it’s so cheesy I can’t help but love it!

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:33 pm

I love Clue SO much. I can’t explain why… it’s just one of those films I can watch over and over! I’ve never seen Some Kind of Wonderful, the entire Blues Brothers movie, or Beaches. I’ll have to check all those out!

2. Rebecca Jo July 15, 2016 / 8:25 am

Oh gosh – I haven’t seen Clue in forever. & I need to watch the Goonies again. It never gets old.
    I’ve never seen Trading Places. SHOCKER! I need to get on that.

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Go watch Clue, my friend! I swear that’s a movie that never gets old! Trading Places is the type of comedy that I don’t typically enjoy, but for some reason it’s the exception.

3. erin (everything with love) July 15, 2016 / 9:10 am

yes yes yes yes to all of these (although I haven’t seen trading places, based on your other choices, it’s most likely amazing and I need to see it).

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:37 pm

Awweee, you should see it!! Watch it at Christmas time- it has a holiday vibe to it even though it’s an 80s comedy through-and-through!

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:38 pm

Haha- I neglected it on the shelf forEVER. When I finally watched it I giggled through the entire thing!

4. chelsea @ the new wifestyle July 15, 2016 / 11:41 am

oh how i love princess bride! though i was alive in the 80s (’87) i never saw the goonies until college! i have ventured to astoria, oregon to take a gander at the house so i was thankful i had at least seen it at that point and now get the reference ‘hey you guuuuuys!’

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:41 pm

So cool that you’ve been to the house! Did they have the whole gate-opening mechanism in place? Lol. The Goonies isn’t my favorite film on my list but I think it’s a great one!

5. Elyse July 15, 2016 / 12:53 pm

I love Goonies and Back to the Future! I’m also a huge fan(or sucker?) for any John Hughes movie but I LOVE The Breakfast Club! I’m sure I’m forgetting so many others but I have weekend brain so I can’t remember.

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:43 pm

Ohhh the dreaded (or longed for?) weekend brain 🙂 I’ve only seen The Breakfast Club from that group of films but I need to check out some others because The West Wing gave me an unhealthy crush on Rob Lowe 😉

6. Mattie July 15, 2016 / 4:22 pm

I have only seen The Goonies (filmed an hour from where I grew up!) and The Princess Bride and I big giant capital letters LOVE them!!! I also love every Brat Pack movie I’ve ever seen haha. 16 Candles and Breakfast Club are my faves. I may have seen Beetlejuice or parts of it yeeears ago, but I don’t really remember it.

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Oh my goodness- you should go watch Clue. I seriously LOVE it more than I can say (and I really can’t express why, ha). Give Beetlejuice another chance, too! (Do that one around Halloween!)

7. Julie Hood July 15, 2016 / 5:10 pm

The Princess Bride was an 80s movie?! I feel like I’ve been living a lie! I swore it was a 90s movie. I need to see Clue–it looks good!!

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:47 pm

I mean… it’s toward the end of the 80s! Haha! I agree that you should see Clue! Ha!

8. Emily (@embergreyblog) July 15, 2016 / 7:46 pm

I got soooo excited when I read the title of your post!! Can you believe I’ve never seen Clue? My SIL flipped when I told her I’d never seen it – it’s on my list. Princess Bride FOREVER AND EVER AMEN. I quote that movie all the time 😉 Ok, here are some of mine: Say Anything (because John Cusack forever too), Die Hard, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Top Gun, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and my all time fave 80s movie, Dirty Dancing. (It’s also in my top 5 for all time faves).

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:49 pm

I have never seen Dirty Dancing… lol. I’ve also never seen Say Anything, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, or Raiders of the Lost Ark…. I think I might really be missing out! Haha!

9. texerinsydney July 15, 2016 / 8:45 pm

Goonies never die!!
    I did this a couple of years ago, so I just copied that list…and here it is:
    The Outsiders
    •Urban Cowboy
    •Grease 2 – Yep, don’t argue with me about this one. It is probably the single movie that I’ve seen the most times in my life. Give me Stephanie Zinone & Michael Carrington over Sandy & Danny any day!
    • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    •Pretty in Pink
    •Sixteen Candles
    •The Breakfast Club
    •St Elmo’s Fire
    •Less Than Zero
    •The Lost Boys
    •Dead Poet’s Society
    •Footloose
    •Purple Rain
    •Dirty Dancing
    •E.T.
    •The Fox & the Hound – my all-time favorite Disney movie; it still makes me cry.
    •The Princess Bride
    •The Color Purple
    •Steel Magnolias
    •Terms of Endearment
    •Mask – (don’t confuse it with the ’90s Jim Carrey crapola; this is the 1985 gem with Cher, Eric Stoltz, and Sam Elliott)
    •The Natural
    •Field of Dreams
    •Rocky IV
    •Raiders of the Lost Ark

Since you weren’t alive and all, if you have not seen some of these movies…then you must educate yourself on the “classics” 🙂

• Louise July 17, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I was SO close to putting Field of Dreams. We looooove that movie! I also almost added Dead Poets Society. I do disagree about The Fox & the Hound… I think that’s a horribly awful sad heartbreaking movie and I will never ever watch it again. Hahaha. (K agrees so we’ve banned it from our house… hahaha.) There are a lot of films here that I haven’t seen, including Grease 2. (I don’t like the first one so maybe I’d like the second!) I guess I have a lot of movies to educate myself on- haha!

10. chelseajacobs July 18, 2016 / 11:53 am

Now I want to watch Clue! 80’s movies are the best!

• Louise July 20, 2016 / 8:18 am

I will recommend that movie to anyone who will listen 😀 I think it’s on Netflix!

11. Nadine July 18, 2016 / 12:56 pm

I love Back to the Future, Beetlejuice and Dirty Dancing is another favorite of mine!

• Louise July 20, 2016 / 8:19 am

I’ve never seen Dirty Dancing, but with everyone mentioning it I think I probably should! 🙂 Beetlejuice is such an awesome movie!

12. Susannah July 19, 2016 / 12:06 am

This is such a great list!!!! I really love Dirty Dancing, Clue, and The Princess Bride! ❤

• Louise July 20, 2016 / 8:20 am

I feel like we’d jive really well together on a movie night, haha! Adding Dirty Dancing to my list of movies to watch right now!

13. Jess July 19, 2016 / 10:48 am

These are great movies! I have actually never seen Clue, but I’d like to. I just finally watched all of the first Back to the Future movie a couple weeks ago, and it was so weird. It has the most bizarre storyline and stereotypical characters. Probably made more sense in the 80s. I love The Princess Bride!

• Louise July 20, 2016 / 8:21 am

I am not a fan of Back to the Future but my husband loves those films… I added them here for him. Haha. Clue kind of has that 80s humor BUT it’s got so much sarcasm and sass. I love it!

• Louise July 21, 2016 / 8:29 am

I’m so happy to find someone who loves Clue & Beetlejuice! I know they’re not the “Titanic” or “The Notebook” of their decade 😉 Haha! I like the Breakfast Club, too, but every time it’s on TV it’s so censored. Ha.

14. Christine Everyday July 20, 2016 / 10:42 am

I just cannot get into old movies…I’m such a loser. 😛

• Louise July 21, 2016 / 8:31 am

You’re not a loser!! Haha! It’s ok if you don’t enjoy them 🙂 I don’t like movies from the 60s and 70s for some reason. I love the old films on TCM and I’m ok with most 80s films, but those two decades aren’t for me.

15. Amanda July 20, 2016 / 12:55 pm

Trading Places! Yes. This movie is so weird but good. Also, you don’t like Back to the Future???? I thought everyone did!

• Louise July 21, 2016 / 8:32 am

It is SO weird. Hahaha. Drunk Santa… a hooker… a $1 bet. It’s the weirdest and usually I wouldn’t like that, but it’s too good to hate! Haha!

16. Lux G. July 21, 2016 / 10:30 pm

Weekend’s here and this is a really good list. Thank you!
    I’ll start with Back to the Future.

• Louise July 26, 2016 / 7:14 pm

I hope you had a fun, movie-filled weekend!!

17. Jessica J-Marie July 22, 2016 / 9:15 am

The Goonies will always be a favorite! As well as Back to the Future. I cannot believe that I’ve never watched The Princess Bride all the way through (I know, it’s horrible). Thank you for following my blog! I just started following yours too 🙂

• Louise July 26, 2016 / 7:16 pm

You’ve never seen The Princess Bride all the way through?? I only have because of my mom, but I tend to think of it as a cult classic 🙂 Then again, there are a TON of movies that I haven’t seen that everyone loves (Dirty Dancing for example).

18. shelldbell July 25, 2016 / 8:12 pm

Yes on almost all these!! Also, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Those are some of my all time favorite movies. Oh! And Christmas Vacation.

• Louise July 26, 2016 / 7:19 pm

I like The Breakfast Club but I’ve never seen Sixteen Candles or Christmas Vacation. I’m not a fan of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off… haha! It just annoyed me. Lol

19. Elizabeth (@oakandoats) July 26, 2016 / 1:08 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you seen Sing Street? It is a new movie that takes place in the 80s! It is so good!

• Louise July 26, 2016 / 7:20 pm

I have not! I’ve have to check it out!!

20. SMD @ Life According to Steph July 26, 2016 / 4:41 pm

I adore Clue, still quote it all the time. My others are Ghostbusters, Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science, European Vacation, Revenge of the Nerds, I could go on forever. My favorite decade for movies.

• Louise July 26, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Clue is the best 🙂 I’ve never seen Ghostbusters all the way through but I need to because I want to go see the new one! (I want to pay my respects to the old one first.)

21. disputesofan80skid February 5, 2017 / 2:09 am

Lol. Beaches. Send up the Heat! Memories for me and plenty others.